How to replicate antennas w/ stretched sprue

John1

Anyone have any tips for this?  For the life of me, I can't get this to work.   First time I almost had it but it was sagging.  I applied a bit of heat but apparently too fast and the sprue pulled off one of the antenna posts. 

Now for some reason, I can't get the sprue to stick.  I'm using superglue and despite how long I can manage to hold the sprue in place with a pair of tweezers, it inevitably slides off as soon as I release it.  Should I try another type of glue?  

This is driving me nuts!!  

The hardest part for me is to get the sprue to stretch thin enough but it sounds like you've past that point.  Superglue SHOULD provide a solid connection.  Are you using old superglue?  I've found that CA glue loses its tack over time.  Now I buy the smallest containers possible and replace them when they start exhibiting non-consistent bonding behavior.  So try some newer superglue.  And be careful with that heat.  I usually hold the model sideways and work the flame from below at a distance that does not affect the stretched sprue.  I'll wave it back and forth and slowly closer to the model... at some point, the sprue will tighten but should remain attached.

If you can't get that to work, you can consider other materials.  I've had decent success using super-fine elastic material such as EZ-Line Fine  and Uschi's elastic thread.  Since they are elastic, you don't have worry about taking out the slack with heat.