Sanding seams with a "guide coat".

Perhaps you already know about this, but if not here's a little trick I learned painting cars. When you block sand primer, first lay down a thin coat of flat black. Back in the day we used an aerosol can. Today they make a powder that you rub on with a pad.

Regardless, it works like this: After your filler is dry brush on some highly diluted black and let it dry. This is also a great help in removing mold seams and other things.

168829740.jpg

Then sand. As seen here there are no low spots. Any low spots will show up black and additional filler will be applied there. 

168829741.jpg

Hope you find this useful.

These photos are from my Trumpeter Wildcat build in the Builds in Progress if you're interested.

I learned the same technique painting cars myself. I’ve applied it on my T-38 build over in the wip section. This was a cool post hope you don’t mind me adding to it. Here’s a pic to add to your tips and technique post for everyone.

Here you can see the black painted on, heavier than recommended but I had some problems with mold release agent and had to make sure the primer would stick. Then on the top seem where the two resin pieces join I’ve sanded just the top so you can see the panel lines running vertically and then all the low spots that need filler along the horizontal joint on the fuselage.

IMG_4352-XL.jpg

22 hours ago, Madelf75 said:

Nice trick .I use to do something like that when I was doing body work but I would lay the guide coat down after I primer filled.

Yea, you're right, my post is poorly worded.

It should read "When you'r ready to block sand primer, first lay down a light coat of black."

These are some great tips. I know a lot of body shop and car guys know this one, but its a great tip, it really translates well to scale modeling, especially when you have powders and thin paint that you can use that don't leave a huge thick layer of junk behind. 

17 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

It really translates well to scale modeling, especially when you have powders and thin paint that you can use that don't leave a huge thick layer of junk behind. 

Yea, two things I wish I had saved - Evercoat glazing putty and my 3M dry guide coat. 

14 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Yea, you're right, my post is poorly worded.

It should read "When you'r ready to block sand primer, first lay down a light coat of black."

Well maybe it might of not come out the way you wanted but I think you have something here .

the black will show up a lot more and something I am wanting to try