Tamiya F4u-1D Corsair build

Eenyweeny

Wow, I think it looks excellent!    That is some really stellar work, especially considering how much experience you have. 

Some notes:

2 hours ago, Eenyweeny said:

1. Model masters acrylics don't stick to prepared plastic very well and tamiya masking tape will quite happily remove it! 

Indeed. I've completely stopped using MMs acrylic paint. It does not shoot, lay down or in general perform well at all, and is overall a very weak paint IMHO. As you have found, I never ever use it without primer unless its some tiny part that I can hand paint with a brush. I have pretty much switched over to MRP acrylic, which seems to out perform most any paint I have ever shot.  If you do use MM acrylics, I would suggest not only laying down primer first, but also adding 5 - 10 drops of retarder to it. 

2. Mistakes can be recovered from (see point 1!)

For sure! I think you have done a wonderful job of recovery here, without a doubt. Considering your experience, Id say you are way WAY ahead of me when I was at this stage. 

As one of the best modelers I've ever met (2017 US Nationals overall best of show/Aircraft winner) told me one time:

"The difference between an average modeler and a great one is how well they recover from mistakes, because ALL modelers, good, bad or indifferent make them." 

3. I need more practice with decals

It is an art. I think the key is preparation of the surface they are going to be applied to. What I normally do now, is once I have things re-scribed and riveted to my liking, before AND after primer,  I will go over the whole model with a 6000 - 8000 grit polishing cloth. Next, after the paint is shot, I go over the cured paint with a 12000 grit polishing cloth. This makes the paint surface SUPER DUPER smooth, and when you lay down a gloss coat over it (I generally now use MMs "ultra gloss clear coat" decanted through an airbrush - very stinky as its lacquer or MRPs acrylic clear gloss - an acrylic but with a lacquer carrier so also very stinky) the clear goes down babies butt smooth, and when dry this creates an ultra smooth and ultra glossy surface to lay the decals down on. When the gloss is REALLY high and super smooth like that, generally the decal carrier film totally disappears.

4. I need more practice using an airbrush

You and me both!  It too is an art, but having the right equipment helps. I have 4 airbrushes, but only generally use my Iwata HP-CS, with my H & S Infinity in reserve for mottling and fine line work, but the needle is HELLA weak, so its not my every day brush. Not sure what you are using, but a nice Iwata top or side gravity fed airbrush or the like can make all the difference.

Then there is what I need too, which is more fine line practice!!   Get yourself a "paint mule". Any old model that is built, but is just laying around as junk. Try to make sure it has a lot of surface area to practice on if a all possible.

5. I need to better understand weathering!

Its not easy thats for sure. I can tell you there are a lot of schools of thought on it, but if you only know 1 thing about weathering its this:

- when it comes to realism, generally speaking less = more.    Also give the Tamiya weathering pallets (small makeup looking compact things) as they are easily wiped off, and redone until you are satisfied, then can clear over them.

If you are up for it, check out Mike Ashley publishing (www.mikeashey.com), as I am about to do a review of his new modeling guide called "Detailing Scale Model Aircraft, 2nd Edition". Its a great guide with a LOT of helpful tips, guides and instructions all with a LOT of full color photos and step-by-steps.

HTH! 

Thanks for looking! I would appreciate any constructive criticism...

8 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

By the by.......

Ontario eh? (No Canadian jabs there)

Is "Letterkenny" actually popular in Ontario?

I think it's my new all time favorite show atm!

I'm fairly new to Canada, having moved here from the UK last May and I haven't really watched much Canadian TV, preferring to practice model building if I get any free time!

I can honestly say apart from winter, I love Canada!

24 minutes ago, Eenyweeny said:

I'm fairly new to Canada, having moved here from the UK last May and I haven't really watched much Canadian TV, preferring to practice model building if I get any free time!

I can honestly say apart from winter, I love Canada!

Doing some modeling VS watching TV is a good thing!   

But,

If you happen to be curious, just Google Letterkenny, and you will see some of the funniest word play and Canadian vernacular you've ever heard

15 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

But,

If you happen to be curious, just Google Letterkenny, and you will see some of the funniest word play and Canadian vernacular you've ever heard

I just watched some on Youtube... it looks great...I've actually met people like that!!!!

1 hour ago, Out2gtcha said:

But,

Lol... those videos are hilarious.  Also Google “Out For a Rip”.   Laughed so hard I spilled my Molson and dropped my dart!    

For your first Corsair i think it looks great.

MM Acrylic is rather fickle stuff. In future projects i suggest you try Tamiya Acrylics or Mr Color, thinned with Mr Leveling thinner, and be sure to apply it over primer.

But this is a big achievement! You should be proud!

-d-

Thanks for all the kind comments! 

David, I use Tamiya acrylics almost exclusively now and find them to be excellent for brush painting or airbrushing, heavily thinned. I've now also discovered the art of decanting the Tamiya spray paint range, which is even better paint for airbrushing. The next few kits in the production line are all Tamyia, so that just makes my life even easier and the hobby more enjoyable! 

17 hours ago, Eenyweeny said:

Thanks for all the kind comments! 

David, I use Tamiya acrylics almost exclusively now and find them to be excellent for brush painting or airbrushing, heavily thinned. I've now also discovered the art of decanting the Tamiya spray paint range, which is even better paint for airbrushing. The next few kits in the production line are all Tamyia, so that just makes my life even easier and the hobby more enjoyable! 

You probably know this already, but Mr Leveling Thinner has a retarder baked in, which does seem to help the self leveling characteristics of the paint, especially with gloss finishes.

-d-

19 hours ago, Eenyweeny said:

I've now also discovered the art of decanting the Tamiya spray paint range, which is even better paint for airbrushing. 

If you enjoy spraying decanted Tamiya acrylic lacquers through your AB, you may want to give MRPs acrylic lacquer a try. Best paint Ive ever shot; bar NONE. Shoots just like Tamiyas acrylic lacquer out of their rattle cans, but no need for any decanting, mixing, thinning, retarder, or thinking about it at all. Just take some out of the bottle, put it in your AB and away you go.