Lancaster Production Records

DonH

I have been searching the interweb for details of Avro Lancaster production records but can't find anything at all. I can get Spitfire records no problem, but nada for Lancaster.

Can anyone point me in the right direction and/or let me know the details for JA902 and LM376? Manufacturing date is the biggie but also dates they were sent to each unit. I have the main details of the operational history of these two Lancs but want to delve into their past a bit more.

Thanks for any help you can give.

JA902 part of a production batch of 550 Lancaster III's delivered between Jun and Dec 1943, by Avro, Manchester.

LM376 part of 350 Lancaster I's (first ten) and III's delivered between Nov 42 and Oct 44 by Avro, Yeadon.

Source: Air-Britain JA100-JZ999 and LA100-LZ999 files respectively.

More info to follow.

JA902 allocated to 467 (Australian) Sqn. First major raid Hamburg 24/25-7-43 also Peenemunde ans several Berlins, last one dated 23/24-11-43.

Then to 463 (Australian) Sqn. First major raid Berlin 26/27-11-43 (463s first Lanc Op.) then several more before reported missing Berlin 2/3-1-44. Said to have fallen into the Issellake, Berlin. All crew lost.

LM376 allocated to 467 (Australian) Sqn. by 18/19--11-43 at least, when it visited Berlin. Thence seven more Berlin raids before missing at Nurenburg30-/31-3-44. Shot down by my Bf 110. Major M. Drewes. All crew saved.

For more info, go to the National Archive's web portal, "Discovery" and trawl through the squadron ORB's. You get a degraded screen image without paying, but good enough to pin down more detail. There may be mistakes or discrepancies however as they were compiled in a hurry.

Thanks for the info. I have some of the ORBs from the National Archives but you have added some useful additional background for me.

Any idea how I can pin down the exact production date for these two?

The only source I trust would for such as the first flight dates be the relevant aircraft record card. Copies are held at the archives at RAFM, or at least microfiche copies. You need to email DoRIS. It will take forever for a reply as they rely on enthusiasts and volunteers. Or make a visit. A couple of photocopies shouldn't take long, alongside a regular visit, but do contact them beforehand.  

• 11 months later...

I am planning to build JB139 and based on SAMs The Avro Lancaster Modellers Data File, it should be one of the 550 batch Mk IIIs ordered from A.V. Roe Chadderton late 1941 (JA672-JB748). How could I find more detailed information from when it was actually build?  

Edited by ykak

JB139 was built under Contract No. 1807 (1650 aircraft) with delivery between June 1943 and March 1945.  Finding more precise information than that would be very difficult especially about when it was built. I’ll have a little more of a look to see if I can unearth anything further but don’t hold your breath! 

OK, here's JB139's movement card where you can see that she was delivered to 49 squadron in August 1943 but less than a month later was transferred to 617 squadron where she remained until her loss on 5 August 44, having sustained damage on a couple of occasions in between.  So you're looking at a build period of early to mid-1943:

Didd0N.jpg

Edited by mozart