ZM He 219 'Uhu'

scott_t

Nice choice Scott, I’ve always admired the design of the ‘Owl’, I love the canted vertical stabilizers. Just a neat looking plane. It’s so sorely tempting - must resist, must resist! Great start, looking forward to your progress!

jimbo

Just to show I am making some progress ...... I have both engines assembled ......some components can be removed for paint and I left off a couple of lines on each for painting them separately (call out for red and blue on those.

No that I am looking at these .....I should of rotated them and got pictures from the other end ....will do that later and post them.

vzXOam.jpg

kFwQZY.jpg

Thanks for looking !

-Scott

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 2:32 AM, LSP_Ray said:

I am starting with the engines in my build, too. Almost the same ones, for the Do335.

Trying to figure out colors right now.

Hi Ray,

I have the Daniel Zamarbide book on his Uhu build and will rely a lot on that for color guidelines, as well as the ZM instructions.

From what I can see, the overall block is a black/silver mix with some components as black so I'll start with that.

-Scott

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:05 AM, jimbo said:

Nice choice Scott, I’ve always admired the design of the ‘Owl’, I love the canted vertical stabilizers. Just a neat looking plane. It’s so sorely tempting - must resist, must resist! Great start, looking forward to your progress!

jimbo

Hey Jimbo,

I have been interested in this aircraft since I went over to the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center and saw the one they are working on restoring.

I think I'll venture back out there and grab some pics for reference and inspiration !

-Scott

3 hours ago, scott_t said:

Hi Ray,

I have the Daniel Zamarbide book on his Uhu build and will rely a lot on that for color guidelines, as well as the ZM instructions.

From what I can see, the overall block is a black/silver mix with some components as black so I'll start with that.

-Scott

Going thru my ref's, I found some good color pics in Japan's Modeler's Eye Series #3, Bf109G-6. block and supercharger mostly black, silver tubing with interesting details, like alternating colors of spark plugs and other little items.

Looks great so far Scott. Is there piston detail inside the engine blocks like on the Ta-152? My Trumpeter P-38 blocks have a bit of space.

I'm planning on putting extra weight in there. 

3 hours ago, JeffH said:

Looks great so far Scott. Is there piston detail inside the engine blocks like on the Ta-152? My Trumpeter P-38 blocks have a bit of space.

I'm planning on putting extra weight in there. 

Hi Jeff,

Yes, they have the pistons moulded in each cylinder head and the piston rods from one side interface with the corresponding rods from the other side. Kind of cool but they will never be seen again once assembled.

ZM provides a metal weight that is located in one of the fuselage fuel tanks located behind the cockpit to provide the weight to keep the nose down.

-Scott