Aircraft Skin Sag Techniques?

Zank_Frappa

Hi guys,

Currently I'm building a Fw 190D, and in looking at pictures of certain examples, I've noticed a fair amount of skin sag on various areas of the airframe. If you want a great example of this, just look at some of those older b52s.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried replicating this on any of their builds, and if so, how'd you do it?

I was thinking of gouging shallow trenches inbetween where the stringers should be with a #10 blade and then softening the area with tamiya liquid thin, but I dunno.

7 hours ago, Zank_Frappa said:

Hi guys,

Currently I'm building a Fw 190D, and in looking at pictures of certain examples, I've noticed a fair amount of skin sag on various areas of the airframe. If you want a great example of this, just look at some of those older b52s.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried replicating this on any of their builds, and if so, how'd you do it?

I was thinking of gouging shallow trenches inbetween where the stringers should be with a #10 blade and then softening the area with tamiya liquid thin, but I dunno.

KQNFpl8.jpg

aSh2GzM.jpg

This book illustrates, I think, a great way to simulate the stressed skin effect. Greg

52 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Skin sag?  Yikes, I sure hope not!

LOL!

Typically called 'oil canning,' at least in construction industry. Nothing like dealing with an architect who doesn't understand why all the flat sheet metal he designed over steel supports doesn't stay perfectly flat. "But it looks so bad..."