F-105 paint scheme question

LSP_K2

I'm trying to determine a cool scheme for a big F-105D that I have (other than the tiring SEA or silver schemes), and stumbled upon this illustration (medium grey substituted for the dark green), which I like very much. I've checked most of my '105 references, and searched Google, but can find no photos of a machine like this. My question is, is this an actual scheme, or just someones imagination?

gzYHMa.jpg

There are instances of light grey being used in place of tan on Phantoms in SEA, so an F-105 wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility.

The photo below isn't the best one I have, but it does show that the grey areas aren't merely over-exposed tan

40723384654_3b27370617_o.jpg

I suppose I could just go ahead and do it, and not worry about it. It seems that a fair amount of the AFRES units at Hill AFB had Thunderchiefs with the grey/green wrap around finishes, but I don't see them as too visually exciting either.

That's not light grey, it's extremely faded 30219.  No T.O. 1-1-4 ever specified any grey scheme with the SEA camo colors.  

I'm fully aware it's not to the paint spec Jennings, but it's not the only photo I have of grey usage.

And having checked the shade with the colour dropper tool, it comes up as a very neutral grey (i.e. nearly all black and white) with very, very little blue and zero red tinting.

I agree, your eye could be fooled into thinking it' must be faded tan (same as with the pea-green anomaly), which is why the real tan and faded tan areas are helpful, But as with other colour illusions, the colour tool isn't fooled.

As noted, have you thought about a rap around camo? It is different....Harv

I actually prefer the SEA scheme to that, Harv. I'm trying to plan for my entry in the 2019 national convention, and of the big kits I have, this one appeals a lot right now, but I don't want to do just another boring (to me) scheme. I may switch gears and just go with the big P-38 Lightning instead. I have plenty of time to decide, so that's a good thing.

There were various unconventional schemes on the Ds operated by the AFRES at Hill AFB, Utah, including a variation on European One, and a sand and brown one.

Two Bobs or similar did the decal sheet and I have two copies.

Tony

Without some kind of written proof, I don't buy it.  

Here's the same image with one pass of auto color correct in PS.  Tell me what looks grey about that...

mHD6xo.png

Suffice to say the the Corel colour correct doesn't yield the same result for me, and so I tend to think what you've illustrated are program artifacts.

Here's another example, and note there are other red objects in the frame, so red colour attenuation is not the issue, as the tan patch where the FY number has been altered to PACAF's preferred style shows. Nobody is claiming these are official or common anomalies, only that they did exist.

41397333142_3e09616450_h.jpg

Edited by Chek