What the *#^! is OD41? Dana Bell's new color monograph

acresearcher

Noted aircraft color expert Dana Bell's new color monograph on OD41- Aircraft Painting Guide Number 1; Dark Olive Drab and Neutral Gray - will be released sometime this late this month or in May, 2018 by Classic Warships Publishing. I've seen the galleys and this thing is definitely both highly informative and very drool-worthy.

The monograph is 72 pages long and about 99% full-page original color photos taken from breathtaking original color slides and transparencies in government archives. In addition to showing a depressingly wide range of OD41 shades, it also shows a wide variety of color schemes on various aircraft - a number of which will come as a surprise, all with informative explanatory captions. Naturally, you'll see quite a few variations on Neutral Gray, too. Yummy.

This book will not only tell you a lot about OD41, but it will give you plenty of ammunition to counter the "OD41 Nazis" that insist it was only one color or that there is a magic formula that was used or that is only matched by a single Munsell formula. Not even close...

I believe the price is going to be $20-$25 U.S. and will be available from Amazon.com, directly from Classic Warships Publishing (http://www.classicwarships.com/warship_pictorial/warship_pictorial.html), and probably directly from Dana.

Please note, I have absolutely no financial involvement with either the book or with Classic Warships.

If you are like me and trying to match OD41 has driven you nuts for years, this monograph will enable you to once more enter polite society with dignity.

Enjoy!

AlanG