Tamiya 1/48 F-14A: 6/17/18: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Thanks for the info.

I surely hope SH, SB and  Hobbyworld  brings them in. Since switching to first MRP and now Mr Color, I'm a 100% convert to lacquers. 

Just wonder why s many Tamiya products: glues and paints as examples aren't available here.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Kev

I haven't have a opportunity to actually find the tamiya lacquers here in the states and am looking forward to giving them a workout. One time using Mr Color lacquer and you'll be hooked. Absolutely the finish is outstanding. Mine came out so smooth, I decaled right on top and zippo clear coat. I did use the Mr Color Gloss Clear to seal them and same results - diamond smooth.

Who were you able to buy the Tamiya Lacquers from?

Peter

I'm hooked on Mr Color too, it only takes one exposure to the paint to become addicted. I have an entire paint rack at home.

The Tamiya paints are in Canada, I have about ten bottles.

Guest Peterpools

SD

Best paints I've ever used. Any reco on who to order  some tamiya lacquers from?

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Chris, much appreciated

And I just might need a night job to pay off the bill - but well worth it.

Peter

Guest Maxim

I'd have to agree with your comments re Mr Color paint. I have have been using it for a number of years and just recently tried MRP paint. Well I still think Mr Color is a better paint. Nothing comes close the their consistency from paint jar to paint jar.

David

Thank you for the information (I've made a few notes of what to be careful of and what to expect) and the link to your build; as I'll be hoping over there after dinner. 

Since I missed the contests, I decided to go with the Quickboost seats (QBT48223) but will make sure, I'll be able to pop them out and replace them with the kit's seat if the Tomcat makes the contest next year. I started painting the seats and the details are very nicely done; just looking for a nice representation and I'm going to call it at that.

You can't go wrong with Quickboost 48-223.

-d-

Guest Peterpools

Hi Chris

Mr Color for me by far. My Big cat is virtually all Mr Color and I just love 'em

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 6/14/18: FINALLY COMING TOGETHER

Over the past few weeks, I've been making slow but steady progress on the Big Cat. With the decaling completed, I went to work on the panel lines with Flory Dark Dirt and the effect is subtle, with every panel line accepting the wash with no problems. I decided to give Mr Color Semi Matt Clear a shot: Holy Cow – I was blown a way. While the Semi Matt completely killed the super gloss shine, it dried with a very slight glossy egg shell finish, replicating painted metal perfectly; just couldn't be happier.

Finally I was able to devote a good half hour plus to removing all the masking. The canopy as one speck that needs a bit of TLC, the exhaust need some touch up air brush work as Mr Color Metallic does seem to rub off a bit.

All the nav lights, slime lights and position lights were hand painted with Model Air and of course, I missed two lights so I need to go back and do a bit more hand painting..

The gear and gear doors are done and ready to be glued into place. As long as I missed the contest I decided to go with new seats, so I purchased a beautiful set of Quickboost seats with harnesses. I'm about halfway through painting them and they fit just fine..

The four Phoenix missiles have been added, fit perfectly and look pretty good.

I'm a few work sessions away from crossing the finish line, with all the small details still needing to be added plus adding the last of the parts to the canopy interior, which it's just resting in place – the fit is nice and tight.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

MedL3G.jpg

AHdMHi.jpg

7hqnBd.jpg

hJkm2f.jpg

A28Fs0.jpg

JDEBu3.jpg