Tamiya 1/48 F-14A: 6/17/18: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

$75 US dollars is about equal to $97 Canadian dollars

Seems Tamiya kits cost a wee bit more up north of the boarder.

Peter

Not everywhere, here in my city, Edmonton, kits are often cheaper than in the US. I provided a few examples in another post.

Hi Peter,

My soon-to-be-concluded drama is located here on imodeler, in case you need a cure for your insomnia:

http://imodeler.com/groups/year-of-the-cat/forum/topic/gypsy-203/

You will be pleased to know that the installation of the undercarriage is positive, and quite sturdy. You've probably figured out by this point that the Tomcat is one of those planes that is more fiddly than normal when it comes to getting it done; its almost impossible to handle it without picking it up in the wrong place.

I had very good luck mounting the missiles to the pylons, and then mounting the pylons to the wing gloves. Fit of the pylon to the wing glove is also very good; biggest thing to watch out for is to ensure the pylons are set at the right angle while the glue sets up. Handling said pylon is like dealing with a polystyrene hedgehog.

I also had excellent luck using Micro Krystal-Kleer to attach the landing gear doors, boarding ladder, steps, and pitot-static/TAT probes. I rinsed away the excess "ooze" with a wet paint brush and a q-tip.

I also bought the Quickboost ejection seats and i'm painting up the first one now. As long as you buy the right one, it fits in the cockpit okay. My next challenges is in getting the seats to come out looking as good as the rest of the model.

Good Luck!

-d-

Edited by David Hansen

Guest Peterpools

SD

Thank you for the very kind words on the loadouts.

I am amazed how pricing of Tamiya kits vary so greatly and no one is complaining when the bargain comes their way

Peter

Guest Peterpools

David

Thank you for the information (I've made a few notes of what to be careful of and what to expect) and the link to your build; as I'll be hoping over there after dinner. 

Since I missed the contests, I decided to go with the Quickboost seats (QBT48223) but will make sure, I'll be able to pop them out and replace them with the kit's seat if the Tomcat makes the contest next year. I started painting the seats and the details are very nicely done; just looking for a nice representation and I'm going to call it at that.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Maxim

Much appreciated. Started on the gear doors, primed and ready for paint. Looks like I just might me getting close to rolling her out in a few week or so.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks John

Like always took longer then I thought but I'm really getting the hange of shooting Gunze Lacquers and they are outstanding

Peter

Maxim

Much appreciated. Started on the gear doors, primed and ready for paint. Looks like I just might me getting close to rolling her out in a few week or so.

Peter

I forgot to mention that Krystal Kleer is a good application for mounting the gear doors as well. Painting those red edges cleanly is one of the toughest parts of building the whole model!

-d-

Guest Peterpools

Thanks David for the suggestion and I'm going to give KK a try. Right now, I ran out of Mr Color Insignia White and am waiting for my paint order to arrive so I can continue with the gear doors. I'm been tossing around the idea of using a Prismacolor Premier PB-4 Crimson Red Oil Paint Pen for the edges. Can't hurt to try, as I decided after the Tomcat I'll be picking up my long ago started A6A Intruder and finishing her and same deal for those gear doors.

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Thanks John

Like always took longer then I thought but I'm really getting the hange of shooting Gunze Lacquers and they are outstanding

Peter

My roommate just recently shot an airliner with the new Tamiya 10ml bottled white lacquer, and the finish is outstanding. I have some of the Gunze lacquers, but haven't tried them yet, but I imagine I'll love them.

Guest Peterpools

Kev

I haven't have a opportunity to actually find the tamiya lacquers here in the states and am looking forward to giving them a workout. One time using Mr Color lacquer and you'll be hooked. Absolutely the finish is outstanding. Mine came out so smooth, I decaled right on top and zippo clear coat. I did use the Mr Color Gloss Clear to seal them and same results - diamond smooth.

Who were you able to buy the Tamiya Lacquers from?

Peter

Kev

I haven't have a opportunity to actually find the tamiya lacquers here in the states and am looking forward to giving them a workout. One time using Mr Color lacquer and you'll be hooked. Absolutely the finish is outstanding. Mine came out so smooth, I decaled right on top and zippo clear coat. I did use the Mr Color Gloss Clear to seal them and same results - diamond smooth.

Who were you able to buy the Tamiya Lacquers from?

Peter

He ordered them direct from Japan (feebay). I imagine Spruebrothers will eventually get them, at least I certainly hope so.