Tamiya 1/48 F-14A: 6/17/18: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Tom

Very much appreciated. I was surprised how the two different whites are so clearly differentiated in the under side close up with the Phoenix missiles being gloss white and the underside of the Big Cat being Navy Insignia White, FS17875. Both look white/white when not next to each other

Peter

Very Nice Peter

That white difference is an eye opener to me as well.

I realised that I always used regular white for my Navy subjects until I found the MRP US navy white being more yellowish.

Then I found the US navy white reference in Gunze, of course existing since forever :)

Guest Peterpools

RD

Much appreciated, I use to use tamiya Gloss white and never realized how much a difference there actually was. But since switching to Gunze and MRP, and going with the correct FS numbers, I've been amazed at the difference

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Gaz

Not sure. I'll wait for a few build reviews as I've heard plus and negative things about AMK kits. The biggest problem, I'm spoiled by tamiya

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Thanks John

Been spending a good part of the day adding the gear doors. To my amazement, these seem to be the weakest part of the kit; not in detail but in how they attach t the kit. There had to be an easier way.

Peter

Peter, the Tomcat is looking fantastic. Very clean and sharp.

Wheels and Wings in Toronto has all the Tamiya Lacquer paints in.

I've also ordered paints from Seal Models in Hong Kong.

http://www.sealmodel.com/products.php?category_id=428

As for the red edging on the gear doors, I've used a Gundam marker for that purpose. They're markers made for plastic models by Gunze and come in many colours and widths.

Carl

Thanks John

Been spending a good part of the day adding the gear doors. To my amazement, these seem to be the weakest part of the kit; not in detail but in how they attach t the kit. There had to be an easier way.

Peter

TBH i find this surprising. I used Krystal Kleer to attach the doors and didn't have any difficulties. If anything they're easier to install than the ones on the Hasegawa kit. Having said that i was careful to install the doors before other stuff started to get in the way.

Painting the red edges on the doors is another story, LOL...

-d-

You might appreciate this, Pete. While scrolling through this Squadron/Signal book on the Tomcat (actually looking for something else altogether), this illustration caught my eye, and looked very familiar. As it turns out, this is the very same Tomcat that had an in-flight emergency and landed here in St Louis. A friend who worked at the MOANG, called me to come have a look at it. 

09Ifjm.jpg

AzpHKL.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Carl, greatly appreciate the very kinf comments on the Big Cat.

I'll see if Wings and Wheels ships to the US and what the cost are for the tamiya Lacquers.

Right with you about the markers, as I found them to be the best way for the red edging. I went to my local Michael's and bought a few Prismacolor Arist Markers (oil based) and they worked great. Seems to dry really fast and the Mr Color Semi Gloss And Clear Gloss has no effect on then at all.

Peter