WNW RE.8 (Holy Thread Revival Batman!)

MikeC

And suddenly it looks like a biplane!  I didn't quite get the control cables rigged, but the last couple of days have been spent checking the fit of the struts both ends before cementing them.  I'm now going to let it cure for a long while, so this thread may go quiet again for a bit.  WNW advise you to use the box to let it dry - it seems to work.

WP-20190518-11-27-41-Pro.jpg

WP-20190518-13-18-30-Pro.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke too soon.  Sadly, that top wing is very heavy, as there is a lot of it.  And the pins on the struts are small. And there are not many of them.  So having had a few break, it's now back as a monoplane, while I drill out and pin (with metal wire) the struts.  :(

I was planning on structural rigging (as opposed to EZ Line) anyway, now I realise it's an absolute must.  I'm thinking 0.2mm or 0.3mm monfilament fishing line, unless anyone's got any better ideas?

No photos atm, it would be too distressing for us all.

• 4 months later...

This one lingers, but in between doing other stuff I come back to it.  Drilling and pinning the struts has worked out sort-of OK, but in the meantime I had a  "why-didn't-I-think-of-this-earlier?" moment.  I remembered that WNW can sometimes supply replacement sprues for a price, and I was very pleased that they still had what I needed in stock.  The price was very reasonable, and given what I paid for the kit it's still cost me less than what the original kits are going for now.

Watch this space, but with patience, it may be a while before there's any more progress.