Painting... the Hornet

I don`t know, maybe most of you know very well how these things are done, but i saw it for the 1st time :)))) I just came across this clip about the "Corosion Maintenance", according to the title, but most of the activity seems to involve only painting. Is this how really the paint is applied or this is some sort of "protective/anti-corosion" coat, or maybe a primer? Very interesting. Very exhilarating and relaxing clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfWNVQL4CKI

I spent time in "CC" (Corrosion Control) when I was a Marine aviation ordnanceman at VMA-542 (85'-88'). The painting procedures varied from our old AV-8A/C's, spot paint with a spray can of engine grey and field green, to, the full on sand, prime and paint of our brand new AV-8B's. 

In the early 1960's my buddy was in the U.S .Air Force reserve as an aviation maintenance man or something like that. He still talks about one day they had to paint a good part of a wing on a jet because it had just been repaired with replacement sheet aluminum.

No problem. The sergeant comes out of the storeroom with a large box of commercial civilian white spray cans and sprays it onto the repaired area.

Hmmm. Now how does one match that slightly different shade of white on our 1/32 scale model? :hmmm:

Or how about the Israelis during their fight for independence in 1947-8 painting aircraft with ordinary house paint because that was all they could find at the time. :shrug:

I am sure that others can come up with many similar stories from their experiences.

When I painted the 1/32 Betty I looked at my tiny bottle of expensive model paint, painted a piece of plastic with it. When it was dry I took the sample to the local art supply store and found an acrylic paint that was very close to it and bought a large bottle of it for a relatively give away price, compared to the minuscule quantity we get in a model company's bottle. Then I painted the Betty with the artists paint and had enough paint left to cover a couple dozen more Japanese 1/32 scale aircraft.  :rolleyes:

No, I never get upset about selecting the exact colors for my models, obviously.  :speak_cool:

Stephen

Awesome story! That reminds me also of me and my early models and the first paint cans, revell enamels, the humbrol ones were still not that famous than the revell enamels. Then I thought "5ml, 10ml, 11ml... What are these numbers... Should I buy them... Why do they make the paint cans so small?". But actually now I have some of these paints with sediments in the cans and they still are my favorite enamel paints of choice.