1/32 Hobby Boss P-61 Build Questions

98Wrangler

Guest Clunkmeister

I have this kit and was unread off by the mixed reviews of it regarding the lack of a specific prototype. A half A and half B?

Were most of these aircraft green, or were they black?

I have this kit and was unread off by the mixed reviews of it regarding the lack of a specific prototype. A half A and half B?

Were most of these aircraft green, or were they black?

Short answer, black. The first batch of P-61A aircraft were completed in OD/NG, but all were subsequently re-painted gloss black in the field. All later P-61A, B and C Black Widow aircraft were finished in gloss black finish from the factory.

The HB 1/32 P-61B kit assembles well with no real fit issues that can be described as an issue (incorporting additional support for the wings by making a supplimentary internal spars is a good idea). It is also pretty tail heavy, so needs a fair amount of nose weight to keep it on its nose wheel.

The kit itself is probably a little closer to a P-61A than the B model. The 8" nose extension ahead of the nose wheel bay is correct for the B model, but the radome type and style is for the very early P-61A aircraft (sand it smooth to represent a P-61B radome) and the main leg doors are those also of the P-61A aircraft (split doors that remain open when the aircraft is on the ground). The P-61B aircraft had doors that closed on the ground with a small 'L' shaped door opening to allow the legs to remain extended - these can be corrected or modified without too much hassle though. The wing tip ailerons also feature trim tabs which is only applicable to the P-61A aircraft; they were deleted on P-61B aircraft (fill them) - these are the major external differences between the two variants.

However, for the purist who wants to produce a truly accurate P-61B model, there are numerable minor differences internally (and some external) between the kit supplied parts and the full size aircraft that would require attention, but if you just want the kit to look like a P-61B, then sanding the radome smooth, filling the aileron trim tabs and modifying the main leg doors would suffice.

HTH

Derek

Edited by Derek B

Here is the diagram,

Source :Warbird Tech Book

Relief tubes are N° 15

675997P610011.jpg

Thanks plm for that image. I can see the relief tubes (well, two of them at least). However, without a photograph of the kit parts, I still cannot determine or confirm that that is actually what they are meant to represent? (I do not have the 1/48 GW P-61 kit, so I do not know what the cockpit arrangement looks like?). The diagram represents a P-61A cockpit arrangement and it altered quite a bit in detail on the P-61B aircraft (although the basic layout would have be expected to be similar for the major components).

The oxygen hoses were situated on the same cockpit wall - possibly in the vicinity of the relief tubes - and if I were the kit designer, I would certainly consider the oxygen hoses as being a more important and prominent item to represent than the relief tubes! (perhaps the cockpit is that well appointed that all of these items are represented?).

Best regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B