Pacific Coast Spitfire IXc

ShotMagnet

My first build log for LSP, the subject being the Pacific Coast Models Spitfire IXc. I was going to start off with a shot of the box, but I don't see anything obvious which will let me post an image.

I know I'm doing something stupidly obvious, but I'm not apparently smart enough -sorry, meant to type 'enuf'- to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Any help will be appreciated. :BANGHEAD2:

Shot

Yeah, see the edit to this post. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to attach an image.

Shot

It sounds like you might be trying to upload your images directly into your post, which is something you can't actually do. You'll need to host them elsewhere, and then link them in to your posts here. Most people use a service like Photobucket, and we have a tutorial for that (though admittedly somewhat outdated now):

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=46600

You can use any site or service you like, though.

Kev

OK, trying this again.

My first build log, blah, blah, blah, blah....

Shot of the box 004_zpsetl3mhu7.jpg

Shot of the side walls 005_zpsevmp9bh1.jpg

I'm not a Spitfire expert, so feel free to sing out if you see something wrong. You may note the sidewalls are maybe darker than they should be. That's because of the lighting.

I plan to build this as Johnnie Johnson's mount, but I also plan to give it clipped wingtips. I'm given to understand that the tips were readily interchangeable, so I think I'm okay there, but again, if you know that it's wrong, let me know. I probably won't change how I build it, but it's always nice to know the right answer.

Shot

Edited by ShotMagnet

Well you're in the right place for Spitfire expertise in these forums Shot.  :hi:

At the high risk of being shot down myself by one of them I'm pretty certain Jonny Johnson never flew clipped wing Spits operationally - a well documented aircraft, I believe JE-J as a IXc always had the full C-Wings.

Good luck with this build 

Torben

Cheers, mate. Yeah, I'm not really sure about the whole clipping thing, but unless I find a way to gin up some different codes I'm just going to go with it and hope for the best.

Kevin, the advice was most helpful, thanks.

Shot

Was working on the cockpit, which was a bad idea since I was also under the influence of my sinus meds. I ended up amputating part of the right seat support as a result. The amputated bit immediately disappeared into that dimension where missing socks from the laundry go. A call to PCM set them to hopefully sending me a replacement.

Meanwhile, went to work on the wings. The upper wings were given splotches of black so as to minimize effects of light entering through the casing-ejection ports built into the lower wing. I've yet to paint the upper wing gear bay, something I noticed a second after taking the shot.

Upper%20wings_zpsmutz6uk0.jpg

Here is the lower wing. The ejection ports mentioned earlier were either flashed over or had to be drilled out with a pin vice. It looks kind of sloppy in this picture, but the outermost port will be covered by the underwing roundels on each side. For the inner port between the outer and the cannon port I might have to use some epoxy putty, but then again considering that it's not entering a contest and it's not baldly obvious I might not bother.

Lower%20Wing_zpseubyvd2s.jpg

The cannon covers come in two pieces, and the cover part itself has to have a slight curve induced into the part so as to match the aerodynamic profile of the upper wing. This meant giving the blisters which go on top of the part a gluing the likes of which they will never forget.

Cannon%20Covers_zpsgmmhvhik.jpg

More in the next few days.

Shot

Edited by ShotMagnet

By the by, the marking and coloring options appear to show a slight bulge in the upper wing surfaces, proximate to the wheel well and presumably there to make room for the undercarriage tires.

There are no parts in the kit which would be of the right shape and size to be those bulges, however. I also can't find any references indicating that they should be there.

Anybody know the right answer to this one?

Shot

Did a quick tape up to see how well everything fits. As you can see from the first picture, it doesn't. Not particularly well, anyway. Some experimentation suggested that fixing a length of sprue toward the rear of the fuselage where it meets the wing might help, but that's still a pretty big trench. I swear you can see tiny X-wing fighters being chased by tiny Tie fighters...

Gaps_zpssvqxt8uq.jpg

The underside looked not quite as bad. Nothing some stock and some epoxy putty can't fix, but you can tell that this isn't a Tamiya kit.

More%20Gaps_zpsolhey9gc.jpg

Speaking of the wing root, here's a close-up of where it meet the fuselage. That mismatch between the wing and the fuselage is also going to require some filling and sanding.

Rear%20Wing%20Root%20Mismatch_zpseepky4x

The left wings cannon cover fit just a little more loosely than the one on the right. I might not give this a second thought, but you can see from the marking guide that the cover is within the white part of one of the invasion stripes, and that's going to stand out . Not a problem, though. Maybe the paint itself will help fill it in. Or I may just fill it with some white glue and be done with it.

Markings_zpsmbl13psh.jpg

A close-up of the area on the left wing I'm referring to, in case you couldn't see it in the other picture.

Markings%20closeup_zpslkwummlp.jpg

Shot