Tamiya Mosquito and Spitfire

shan

No worries Shan, glad to be of some help...I can get other stuff if needed, but depending on what is needed, it may take a little time...see what I mean about M.r tamiya getting some of it dead on eh??

J

thanks Jeff, yes, i've been checking the parts and yes Tamiya got it right, dead on.

as for the engines, i've hit a snag.

dont seem to be able to get the frames fitting well. ended up with a huge gap.

engine-5_zpsosgkox89.jpg

after analyzing the problem, i think i've done something wrong and the paint is too thick, so ended up with some minor surgery

decided to remove the circular attachment part to the engine

supercharger%20mods_zpsnvry0c9b.jpg

that still didnt work, so ended up removing some detail for a better fit

cowling_zpsnklbn8ri.jpg

and finally, it fits

engine-done-1_zpsypvlm3rj.jpg

engine-done-2_zpsrpxmc7gh.jpg

now, off to work on the spitfire's engines. the spit has more details on the engines, so, gonna take some time there.

Jeff, thanks for the help, i had real fun studying your photographs and adding in some pipes here and there. hope your restoration project is coming along fine?

Hey Shan, no worries, very happy to be able to share the pics.... he restoration project is very much a long term project, and when complete, it will be a very cool sight to see. The local Boffins want and are going to put her back into the civilian clothes she wore when she worked here in Canada, and she will be the only one in the world not in military dress... which I think is rather exciting... I'm hoping in the next ten years or so, but with just volunteers help, it may take a while, but it is a very cool project...... I'm watching your progress here closely.. I have one to build too.....

Cheers Bud

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, Harvey and Phil, i have a feeling that if you were to assemble the parts prior to any primer and paint, they would fit. i painted the components separately and tried to fit them, and i guess thats where the problem was. give dry fitting a try first before any major modifications. Jeff and Phil, hope  to see your builds start up soon

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some work done on the spitfire engine and again ran into the same issue with the Mosquito engines. but well prepared this time. i found that enlarging the opening where the front of the engine meets the spinner backplate solves the issue and i got a perfect fit without needing to sand off some details like in the mosquito build.

spit-eng-1_zpsf4zi7so8.jpg

spit-eng-2_zpsoe4wvc0l.jpg

spit-eng-3_zps7ipqle47.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Shan

Nice work on the Merlins and glad you found a work - around for the few fit issues.

I've made it a rule after a steady diet of Tamiya kits to be extra careful with paint build up, as the part fit tolerances are very exact. I try to assembly as many parts as possible before painting and then get bogged down in masking but it does help eliminate the fit issues. Where I have to paint first and then glue parts together, I remove the paint and primer if I can. And of course, sometimes I just have to bite the bullet.

In the past, I had the same issues on the Spits and Mustangs where the prop shaft exits the housing as not being correctly lined up and square, causing fit issues. On the Mossie, Tamiya included for the first time alignment jigs and when done, my Merlins hadn't any of the alignment issues of the past builds.

Peter

Thanks for the advice Peter, yes, i guess the smart thing to do is to dry fit the entire assembly before painting, i tend to just dry fit the parts within the same diagram in the build guide. the Tamiya fits are just a bit too excellent and a bit of paint can really start to affect the fit. Yes, the Tamiya Mosquito had the temporary jigs to help out in the alignment, but not the spitfire, i hope that does not mean i'll be facing some alignment issues down the road.

I had a look at your Mosquito build and am really getting exited anticipating the camo painting.

• 4 weeks later...

moving along with the build..... started with the Spitfires cockpit. the parts went on well with fits and all. i've added Eduard's photo etched interiors and they are simply gorgeous!!!

CHAIR_zpsuv1gzvry.jpg

COCKPIT-2_zpshq8sp5lk.jpg

COCKPIT-1_zpsjnjpelsq.jpg

Eduards, instrument panels....... fabulous!!

INS_zpsvfocf3yw.jpg

Added in some lead wires and it really complements the details in cramped spaces

front%20office%202_zpstagksjn2.jpg

front%20office_zps6pvmhb12.jpg

got to start working on the seat belts and then the 2 halfs can be glued in!!

Edited by shan