How to finish an LSP..

airscale

I am 18 months into a scratchbuilt F7F Tigercat, it is about 80% done but I am finding my mind wandering – I think want to build something else too…

..trouble is I can't because I have so much invested in the F7F that I am terrified if I even start to think about another build I will have wasted all that time and effort and I will never get it finished..

I want to know how some of you manage to quite contentedly build more than one thing at a time?  Do you not worry that time, money & effort in a subject you go cool on is not wasted, how will you ever go back? When will you go back & is it important that you go back sooner rather than later?

I have a choice I cannot reconcile – 1) stick with it, but feel like I am pushing through to get it done or 2) switch track / do both / give in to builders freedoms and risk the waste and guilt that go with it

So, team, how is it done? How do you actually finish a model and would making more than one at a time make you more or less likely to?

I have MANY builds pending at the same time. But i dont worry about that, i know i'll get back to them later.

If you want to be sure your Tigercat dont get lost on the SOD, just unwind with a rather simple, OOB build of a quite simple kit (like a Hasegawa kit, for example). So in only a month or two, it should be done, you'll be happy to have finally finish something, you'll be proud of it and so you can get back to the Tigercat. :)

In the days when I used to pen books and encountered writer's block, the easiest solution was to pick something in the middle that would get the wheels rolling again.

I need to learn to apply that to models. E.g. get the wing flaps done and "ticked" as ready, because I'm not ready to tackle a fuselage-closing or other major effort.

I.e. don't resume where you left off. Pick that up later. Work on the wheels or props or other "easier" task.

Must practice what I preach!

Tony

If my enthusiasm flags, it's often something incidental - like someone sending me a link to a lovely Spitfire video on YouTube - that re-stimulates me and gets my modelling desire juices flowing!

Having said that, I have the opposite problem currently.. I'm enjoying my joint Revell Spitfire build so much that I'm resenting time I'm not working on them - like tonight, when the current Mrs Shoggz asked me to share a nice bottle of red with her!