1/32 Wild Hare F-16XL, Project SCAMP WIP.

danimalmagic

Danny,

Like the project that you have begun.Great start.

NOICE. Like the methodical steps you have shown that you will take..that is very useful and good way to work. :yahoo:

Good luck :thumbsup:

Well, that's just awesome work, Danny! And already looking to be up to your usual high standards.

Kev

Danny

Fantastic project ... totally am enjoying following your progress and understanding each step as you go.

Keep 'em coming

peter

Thanks guys, still a great deal to do so early days, i will do an update each weekend, we will see where we are next week.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Great start to a great project. Few years ago, I had an opportunity to this jet close and personal as I was with friend that knew the base commander. It's interesting how big the delta wing is for this tiny jet. I wish i had taken more photos then I did. You are doing a wonderful job and a must follow along thread.

Great start to a great project. Few years ago, I had an opportunity to this jet close and personal as I was with friend that knew the base commander. It's interesting how big the delta wing is for this tiny jet. I wish i had taken more photos then I did. You are doing a wonderful job and a must follow along thread.

You lucky man, i am really struggling for good images, would you consider sending me yours, it would be a big help, i wont publish them if that is a problem.

Thanks for looking.

Danny

Danny, sometimes it pays to know the right people :) I will to see what I can find and send them your ways. ;)

That would be great, there is lots of details that i can not see close enough, i want her as accurate as possible, cockpit would be really good.

Thanks in advance.

Danny

Hi all, you will not be surprised to know it has been another busy week, I left off last week with the grafting of various panels to the resin fuselage using the Tamiya donor kit, I will continue from there. 

The next thing to do was the gun bay panel on the starboard side, made a boob here as the Tamiya kit part has two rows of 3 vent/exhaust louvres. The XL has just a single row of 6 so a bit of filling and re scribing was required, an easy fix but definite failure to study reference material, my bad. happy.gif
I also added the round access panel, this sits between two antennae that I will add later. 
102_3723.jpg
This is the area on the actual airframe. 
top%20detail%202.jpg
Next was the port side panel aft of the canopy, it is present in the donor kit but obviously due to the extension plug fitted to the XL now further back, you can see it in the above image. 
NB: Large raised circular detail in front of the re fuel port light now removed. 
000_0248.jpg
Next up the removal of the reinforcement plates for the Navigation Lights each side of the intake, no nav light at all on the FSD and on the XL just the light with no reinforcement plate. 
000_0257.jpg
The Tamiya Kit light will be fixed here on the existing mounting holes. 
000_0259.jpg
Engine intake compressor face, the early F-16FSD were fitted with the F100-PW-200, pretty well visibly much the same as the later 220 apart from the intake compressor face. 
Fortunately the Academy F-16 includes this as an option so an easy replacement part, I just needed to extend the spike on the inlet cone. 
000_0264.jpg

Regards

Danny Attree
www.modelmasteruk.com

Next up a minor casting issue, nothing unusual for a resin kit and the only one I have come across so far, a bit of Mr Surfacer 1000 applied as liquid filler will cure this. 
102_3648.jpg
Next the access panels for the rear fuselage plug, these are completely wrong and need to be re scribed, not my most favorite of things to do. 
102_3625.jpg
They should be fuel tank panels as below. (NB: Spin Chute Reinforcement strips below tail) 
fuel%20panels.jpg
A rough idea, I will fill the detail with CA glue and sand as filler will just pick up when I re scribe. 
102_3628.jpg
Next, an access panel each side of the rear canopy, they have what looks like an air data probe attached but I will come back to the specifics later. 
adp%202.jpg
access%20panel.jpg
Panels in place. 
102_3722.jpg

Regards

Danny Attree
www.modelmasteruk.com

Next is the spin chute reinforcement brackets, once the spin chute phase was complete it was removed but the reinforcing stayed and I have replicated using stock card as per my reference material. 
102_3720.jpg
Top fuselage done for the most part. 
102_3726.jpg
Now the hard part, I wanted to use the Avionixs early f-16 cockpit in conjunction with the True Details resin kit to get an early F-16 tub. 
I fitted an Avionixs tub to a Tamiya F-16CJ a few years ago and it was not easy. The resin fuselage for the SCAMP makes it even harder as there is loads of reinforcement taking the thickness from 1mm of the kit to 4-5mm in places on the resin part which all needs to go. 
I remembered the Avionixs tub was really tight with the standard kit and it has a massive amount of excess material to remove so I have instead gone for the Aires Resin tub as this is an easier option that will fit 100%, I had one in the stash. 
The True Details resin kit will supply the early block forward analogue console, we will come to that next week. 
102_3737.jpg
Material to be removed, I could cry. sad.gif
102_3734.jpg
First need to make sure the holes for the canopy are opened up. 
102_3735.jpg
Next the removal of the unwanted resin, don't ask how long this took, no Dremmel here all hand.!! happy.gif
102_3739.jpg

Test fitting completed, (NB:True Details resin forward console shield fitted.) 
102_3742.jpg
102_3747.jpg
102_3745.jpg
That is basically the upper fuselage done, before I can go further I need to paint the tub and fix in place, it will need a little bit of filling to get it 100% but that is for another day. 
102_3748.jpg
Next is to fill the gap between the resin rear undercarriage and the fuselage, I have found the same issue with the Academy and Tamiya kits on past projects though a slightly smaller gap. 
102_3751.jpg
Lastly for today the remaining material that needs to go from the bottom of the resin fuselage in order to fit the tub and be able to close the two halves up, not looking forward to this. happy.gif
102_3753.jpg

Well that is me done for this week, it may not look like much progress but she is putting up a fight.happy.gif

Modification list to date, still lots to do. :-)

1.       NSI Intake, the Big Mouth is fitted to the second two seat F-16XL, a full resin NSI intake is provided, and it is seamless to a point, essentially a direct copy of the Thunderbird kit parts. NAV light reinforcement plate still in place, need to be removed.

2.       48,00Ib landing gear was fitted to F-16XL, 849 (F-16CJ kit).

3.       Block 40 wheels. (Isracast)

4.       Bulged main gear bay doors (F-16CJ kit), resin doors supplied are of no use.

5.       Bulged gear bay doors, need to check the closing/retraction bracket arrangement.

6.       Norwegian Type Drag Chute. (supplied)

7.       Check cockpit glare shield accuracy.

8.       Leading Edge Crank/Flap Under curl/profile, need to check all spans.

9.       Thickness of ISA Booms, need to check.

10.   Nav Lights on each side of the NSI intake, reinforcement place needs to be removed.

11.   Fill seam on intake join to duct. N/A

12.   Modify angle of RAM Ducts above the NSI

13.   Two small antennae required behind the nose landing gear.

14.   Two small antennae required forward of refuel point.

15.   Small round access plate between two antennae forward of re fuel point.

16.   Aces II Ejection seat, supplied with resin cockpits.

17.   Early F-16A Cockpit required, need to check for any further changes later on in the NASA program, further images required.

18.   Forward Avionics bay in front of canopy has no hinge detail, graft this area from the CJ Donor kit to rectify.

19.   Reposition the gun bay and associated ports to correct position on Portside, need to be further up slope.

20.   The panel lines for the PDU Bay , Gun Drum Bay , Gun Trough, Gun access door with vent, and, all need to be re-scribed.

21.   Gun bay Starboard side port missing, check and graft as required.

22.   Fuselage plugs details, lots of issues here, long story short to increase the length of the fuselage 2 plugs were fitted, 30†wide on forward area and 26†for the aft. In scale this has been replicated but the surface details need to be corrected on the upper surfaces, re scribe or graft.

23.   Rear fuselage lower plug Empennage Cant, quite a big problem on the underside as the plug has been positioned in the wrong place giving a much more acute angle up to the burner. I think the best option will be to cut these area out and graft in the correct details from the donor kit.

Points 22 and 23 will make more sense when I actually do the work.

24.   Top spine/center line antennae missing.

25.   Top spine/center line IFR light missing.

26.   Spin Chute Reinforcement strips each side of tail on upper fuselage, missing.(NASA onward)

27.   Check Pitot boom for shape and length, check.

28.   Throttle bulge on port side of forward fuselage, check.

29.   Extra AOA probe for the port side of the forward fuselage

30.   All TACAN/UHF/VHF/& other SI antennas, missing check.

31.   Pre bulge just fore of the MLG doors, check.

32.   C Band Beacon, check where etc, reference material.

33.   Store Separation Cameras, may not be applicable, check.

34.   Recesses for Dummy AMRAAM, check.

35.   Two ventral tails on the rear underside not fitted to the XL.

36.   Access panel both sides below rear canopy, including vent/intake/probe.

37.   Need the correct inlet compressor face, spare in Academy F-16.

38.   Port and Starboard air intake scoops, leading edge angle (Above JFS on Port side)

39.   Small probe/possible pitot top port side of tail?

40.   Remove round access plate in front of the refueling port light.

41.   Air Data Probe, bottom side, behind Radome.

42.   Air Data Probe, port side, behind Radome

43.   Air Data Probe, above intake, Starboard side.

44.   AOT probes each side of radome.

45.   Fit landing lights to heavyweight landing gear.

Regards

Danny Attree
www.modelmasteruk.com
Edited by danimalmagic