Microsol on Microscale decals

Zero77

Hi,

Yesterday, i had a mishap with Microsol on Microscale decals. It's quite strange as i first thought these products would match perfectly as they come from the same manufacturer. In fact, they do, as the Microsol does its job. But i had some collaterals.

Actually, i had just applied my decals (rounded decals on wheel hubs). Then i layed a coat of Microsol, and that's true that i was quite generous. I thought "Microsol on Microscale decals = absolutely not risky". One or two minutes later, the decal started to be heavily wrinkled. I was not too worried at first, as some decals react this way and then lay down perfectly once dry. But this one did not. This morning it was of course less wrinkled, but it was still full of small wrinkles. I applied a very thin coat of Microsol once again and then went to work. Dont know if it would work.

Any idea or any similar experience in the past?

I am not much experienced in modelling but I guess this may improve the results: After applying microsol on decals, wait for, say half an hour, dip a clean cotton cloth in hot (or warm water) and press gently on the decals with the cotton cloth. Do not press hardly or do not move your fingers when pressing on the decals...

I am not much experienced in modelling but I guess this may improve the results: After applying microsol on decals, wait for, say half an hour, dip a clean cotton cloth in hot (or warm water) and press gently on the decals with the cotton cloth. Do not press hardly or do not move your fingers when pressing on the decals...

This 'hot compress' approach actually does work, and I've used it before a few times. Before trying that, though, try a hairdryer set to a low setting, Nicolas. As long as they're not resin wheels, it shouldn't affect the part itself. You can also use it in conjunction with a cotton bud to help smooth out the wrinkles. Use a rolling motion, rather than a rubbing or dabbing one.

Kev

I've experienced the same thing many times! My solution is to "thin" Microsol with distilled water to lessen its potency on decals that might react severely to undiluted Microsol. I "thin" it in 1:1, 1:2, & 1:3 ratios (Microsol:distilled water).

I then do a test run on decals from the exact same sheet (one's you won't be using!) utilizing each of the three ratios. I then go with the strongest ratio that does not cause permanent wrinkling and still gets the decal down. You'd be amazed at how much variation there is in sensitivity to Microsol there is on decals, even from the same brand! So you need to test each specific sheet. Since I started using this method, I have not had any decal disasters!

I've experienced the same thing many times! My solution is to "thin" Microsol with distilled water to lessen its potency on decals that might react severely to undiluted Microsol. I "thin" it in 1:1, 1:2, & 1:3 ratios (Microsol:distilled water).

I then do a test run on decals from the exact same sheet (one's you won't be using!) utilizing each of the three ratios. I then go with the strongest ratio that does not cause permanent wrinkling and still gets the decal down. You'd be amazed at how much variation there is in sensitivity to Microsol there is on decals, even from the same brand! So you need to test each specific sheet. Since I started using this method, I have not had any decal disasters!

Thanks ! That seems a good technique to test what to use and how to proceed. The only problem (but not least !) is that the decal set i use is only for 1 aircraft and every decals are to be used. And the other various "useless" decals on the sheet (brand's and printer's name, date, item number...) are not printed on any carrier film, so they are very tiny and dont react as the true decals on the sheet. So i have to work with live bullets.

But i keep it for a next experience !

Edited by Zero77

This 'hot compress' approach actually does work, and I've used it before a few times. Before trying that, though, try a hairdryer set to a low setting, Nicolas. As long as they're not resin wheels, it shouldn't affect the part itself. You can also use it in conjunction with a cotton bud to help smooth out the wrinkles. Use a rolling motion, rather than a rubbing or dabbing one.

Kev

I tried both the hairdryer and the hot compress stuff. The hairdryer doesn't really work, but may prepare the decal before the other technique (in fact my hot water tank is leaking since last sunday, so i dont have hot water, nor warm, except half an hour a day, for the familly to take a shower, as then i have to sponge about 10L on the floor of my basement. I'm absolutely unlucky ! 2016 sucks ! :) ).

However, pressing the decals with a warm kitchen towel seems to impove the aspect and reduce the wrinkles.

The bad news is that i also applied some microsol on the roundels (fortunately on the underwing which is not so visible), this time only a light coat, and i got wrinkles too. There is also something else, the decals seems to not be sticking correctly (about a day after the first setting, when i dab them with the warm wet cloth, they seems to be slightly moving in the middle with moving micro bubbles, i never saw that with other decals), that may be the cause of the wrinkles. I'm quite disappointed with the Microscale decals. And that's a shame thay cannot support the brand's own softening product !

I'll try to thin the microsol with water, or try the DACO decal setting "soft version".

Edited by Zero77