1/144th Revell Nasa 747 w/ Shuttle

b757captain

Wow, that really is a standout! Looks fantastic. I've always wanted one of these kit combos, but never managed to score one. Great work!

Kev

Thanks Kev! 

Been sailing, just got back to the internet!

The Revell kit pops up occasionally but I think it's OOP now. I debated between the Revell and Dragon, but the Dragon was twice the price, plus their shuttle is a see-through version with a bunch of internal detail. I didn't want that and didn't want to pay for the extra bits. 

After completing both the aircraft, I can say that maybe paying extra is a good thing if fit and finish counts! Both the shuttle and 747 have major fit issues and took lots of putty and sanding to get an acceptable result. The good news was that all the sanding essentially removed most of the grossly oversize panel lines, which in 1/144th would have been the equivalent of a raised welding seam the size of my fist!

I have read in other builds that some of the detail in the Revell kit is off, like the mounting towers, but from 2 feet away it looks ok to me. Would I do another one? Um, no!

Cheers,

Mark