Arado Ar 234

Gene

Thanks Pete! Thought you might enjoy how I first came across this for vacs. It was out of necessity, because I had to chop up the original vac so much to bring it into scale that I needed something to hold it together - in this case the jet duct was perfect running from nose to tail!

post-4-1115753574.jpg

Holy Crap!!!

Thanks for posting the pics.

I had seen a pic of that kit in the D&S book on the F-8 and it looked really bad. That is why I decided to bite the bullet and do mine. Did you finish that project? It looks like a nightmare. I bought some of the Roberts Model parts for it and they were just as bad. So hence the project you have seen on these boards.

Thanks again for posting the pics.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Lately been feeling more like an archaeologist piecing together the history of an entire ancient civilization with only a few words and sentence fragments! Most of what I’ve gleaned about the camera bay comes from one photo published of Ar 234 V5 that had an unfortunate landing experience with a Fw 190 on the same runway; the tail was broken away between the two camera bays to reveal one side of an Rb75/30 camera and some misc. structure! The rest of my ref are conflicting ‘cutaway views’ and Hasegawa’s excellent 1:48 kit of the Ar 234B-2 and some great but fuzzy pics of one of the Rb’s being prepared for a Bf 110.

The camera bay has been brought along, first by adding fuselage structural elements, then fabricating hatch covers with a sandwich of aluminum and Milliput and then forming wafer thin Milliput hatch openings to be cut into the vac pieces later. All of this was done against a small negative cast of the fuselage in plaster. The primary goal here was to have a thin lip around the hatch opening for securing the hatches.

The camera has been brought along using the Hase for size reference and picking elements from all the refs.

post-4-1115753337.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

Damn Gene...Superb mate. That is some very clean work. If I were to try that it would look decidedly different. And by the sounds of it you are thoroughly enjoying researching and performing this build. I'll enjoy this. Brilliant work with the Alu and the Milliput.

Cheers mate,

Jay

Gene, What I really like is that you are making all of this out of plastic and seemingly without a ton of after market stuff. That camers would look nice in just about any Luft bird!

• 6 months later...

Holy moly, Gene, this is.......awesome! Absolutely stunning work! Brings me in the mood to start mine, but after I have finished my late-war-Navy-project I´m still in the planning stages for my next project which will really be a "long-time-project" depicting german-nightfighters and will include 2 Me 110´s, 2 Me 262 Nightfighters, a He 219 Uhu and , for sure, the famous Arado 234 nightfighter flown by kurt Bonow. To get familiar with the whole project I´ll start with the 262´s but ´till I start with the Arado I´ll keep watching your thread with eagles eyes....really inspiring!

Congrats Sir, keep on postin´!

cheers

Chris "the ripper"

Thanks Alan, Angelo, and Chris,

Sorry to say I'm cauught in between places and have not been able to work on the 234 - and I was really enjoying how it was coming along! Anyway, maybe after the first of the year I'll be able to get back into it. Thanks for the your encouraging words in the past and just here recently.

When one invests a certain amount of time in an off-beat kit, isn't someone suppose to come out with a brand new elaborate injection kit? Guess I didn't get to that threshold!!