Tamiya F-16CJ:UPDATE:8/29/15: DONE AND IN THE BOOKS

Guest Peterpools

Nice work Pete. I'm not a jet kinda guy but I can appreciate good model building regardless of the subject. Love the interior work, and I see you got the stamp of approval from Mr Pete Fleischman, can't get any better than that.

Cheers

Mike

Guest Peterpools

Hi Wolf

Much appreciated and the Viper is moving forward now at a nice pace. Maybe in a week or so, I'll be heading towards the paint hop. I have my fingers crossed

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Hi Oliver

I posted a photo of the actual Viper I am building right after your first post. Hope it shows the color scheme ok

Peter

Hi Oliver

I posted a photo of the actual Viper I am building right after your first post. Hope it shows the color scheme ok

Peter

yes I saw it. It looks great. I always liked the TigerMeet various paintings on aircrafts.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 6/7/15: LOADOUTS

Slow but steady as she goes.

I've reached a point where some Bondo was actually needed; hard to believe on a Tamiya kit but it's true and the culprit area was around the nose cone and the three panels that go right in front of it. While the Bondo was drying and it was the perfect time to finish up the loadouts and bring them up to the stage just prior to laying on the gloss coats and decaling. No problems to report at all and the last of the assemblies went together without a hitch. Any imperfections were filled with a bit of CCA and sanded smooth along with the balance of the seams. Working form photographs of the actual Viper at the 2001 Tiger Meet, my loadout would consist of:

2- AIM-120B AMRAAM

2- AIM-9M Sidewinders

2- 307 Gallon Drop Tanks

The balance of the armament was regulated to the spare parts box for future projects. Once satisfied all was in order, any panel lines needing touch up work were attended to. Finally it was off to the paint shop and the laodouts with their dedicated pylons were primed with MIG Acrylic Polymer Gray Primer (just awesome primer). Smooth as silk and ready for my first crack at pre-shading. Layers of thinned out Nato Black went on and ready for the color coats.

The 370 gal drop tanks and pylons were painted with MIG Acrylics, as well as the AIM-120B AMRAAMs. The AIM-9M Sidewinders were painted with AK Acrylics and the front end swith Tamiya metallics. I tinted the colors a bit so that none would be exactly the same and look as if all the loadouts and pylons were painted at different times and were from various other Vipers. I'll leave the loadouts as is until the Viper reaches the decal stage and then tackle all the decaling at one time.

I also tackled the three main gear doors ad lightly weathered each with MIG Panel LIne Wash.

Next up:

Finishing the fuselage: scribing, sanding, polishing and masking and then it's off to the paint shop for priming.

Thanks for checking in.

Peter

untitled-5_zpsiatkan8a.jpg

Still need to do a bit of detail painitng

untitled-3_zpspsnkppgr.jpg

untitled-4_zpsffbhvft5.jpg

Pre-shading before the color coat was applied.

untitled-6_zpshwx5wmov.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Great Stuff, Peter!

Love what you've done with the weapons.  The color shading on them really brings them to life.  Same for the drop tanks.  Decals will be the finishing touch and I'll have a hard time telling them from real, I think.

Can't wait to see how you apply the same techniques to the airframe.

John

Guest Peterpools

Hi John

Very much appreciate the kind works and I'm glad I passed the test with my concept of pre-shading. Being the first time I've gone the route, I've been experiment and tinkering as I go and re-doing a lot. I'm trying to work out the kinks as the fuselage keeps getting closer and closer to the paint shop and priming.

Peter