New from Airfix 1/24 Mosquito FBVI for 2015

Black Sheep One

I am neither a hoarder or a rip off artist. I put mine up for sale on Ebay last spring to get some cash for a college project my daughter was involved in. I got 400.00 dollars for it. If it is any consolation I have regretted selling it ever since, nor will I probably replace it for over 200.00. I just hope the HK 1/32 kit is as nice and carries a more affordable (to me) price tag....

Max Bryant  

Well ... The HK kit WILL have a more affordable price tag - it's 1/32, not 1/24 (Airfix) for a start!! - I'm thinking somewhere in the $100-$150 price range??

Rog :)

... And maybe the second hand ones on e-bay will now drop to sensible prices. So tough cheddar to all the hoarders and rip off merchants trying to extort £300 plus! ...

Bruce ...

Although I understand your frustrations (believe me, I do!!) - this comment is rather naive ...

There is nothing wrong at all with using the market forces at work for supply and demand ... If you are fortunate enough to afford to buy a first or second issue kit on the market at the time of release or soon after - then good for you. If not ... then expect to pay a premium to those who did, in order to get them to part with it! ... Or be patient and get extremely lucky - as I have done from time to time!!

This is not extortion in the slightest!!! ... I have one in my collection. I value it highly - and would not part with it unless I was offered a sizeable amount of coin to do so - regardless of what else is available on the market. Also - selling something for less than it's current market value (that for which people are prepared to pay!) is the personal choice of the seller ... and in no way reflects upon their character or morals ... It does not make them a "Hoarder" or a "Rip Off Merchant".

Fortunately for you (and I am also happy for you!!) ... Airfix are re-releasing the kit and so you no longer have to be concerned with finding someone willing to part with theirs for less than they paid for it (i.e. cost of the kit + cost of acquisition, being shipping, travel, parking etc) ... My kit (bought brand new) owes me a minimum of $180AUD, plus dollar cost inflation for the 7 years I've had it on the shelf.

Finally ... not all of us have the luxury of time available to build what we buy now ... My working hours are long and recreation time extremely rare. I buy now (while I have the cash!) in order to avoid the problem that you perceive - finding the kit - later, when I do have time!! ... So if I don't buy now - then, indeed it is "Tough Cheddar" :D

Edited by Artful69

Guest Vulcan32

Well ... The HK kit WILL have a more affordable price tag - it's 1/32, not 1/24 (Airfix) for a start!! - I'm thinking somewhere in the $100-$150 price range??

It will be in the price range of their B-25, not really more affordable as the 1/24 Airfix one. Look at the price of the Do-335, and this is not a large kit.

It will be in the price range of their B-25, not really more affordable as the 1/24 Airfix one. Look at the price of the Do-335, and this is not a large kit.

... Ok so ...

The Do335 is about $165.00 USD and the Mitchell Bomber is about $167.00 USD (according to Spruebrothers - which is usually my go-to US shop!)

The Airfix Mosquito will be being flogged at 140.00 GBP (OP's link) which is about $220.00 USD - give-or-take ... I wouldn't expect to see them sell for TOO much cheaper than that anywhere.

So were looking at a difference of between $50-$60 USD diff ... which seems like at least a couple of Revell kits worth - and I'd say thats a fair difference when people are looking to save pennies :D

... Ok so ...

The Do335 is about $165.00 USD and the Mitchell Bomber is about $167.00 USD (according to Spruebrothers - which is usually my go-to US shop!)

The Airfix Mosquito will be being flogged at 140.00 GBP (OP's link) which is about $220.00 USD - give-or-take ... I wouldn't expect to see them sell for TOO much cheaper than that anywhere.

So were looking at a difference of between $50-$60 USD diff ... which seems like at least a couple of Revell kits worth - and I'd say thats a fair difference when people are looking to save pennies :D

Keep in mind that you're comparing the price of a 1/32 kit (HK) vs a 1/24 kit (Airfix).

Guest Vulcan32

... Ok so ...

Hi Roger,

here, in Europe, the B-25 is sold for Euro 179,- to 199,-. The Airfix Mosquito will be in the same price range. HK-Models kits are cheaper in the U.S.A.

But all this doesn´t really matter, I have my sources for kits.

Cheers, Heinz

Keep in mind that you're comparing the price of a 1/32 kit (HK) vs a 1/24 kit (Airfix).

Yes ... exactly!! ... That was my point in the original response to 'mightymax' below ... :D

Hi Roger,

here, in Europe, the B-25 is sold for Euro 179,- to 199,-. The Airfix Mosquito will be in the same price range. HK-Models kits are cheaper in the U.S.A.

Cheers, Heinz

Wow Heinz!! That IS a bit of a difference!! ... Obviously the lesson learned for me here is: don't go buying HK kits from Europe!!! lol :D - I'll stick to getting them from USA or Hong Kong ... the retail prices here are much steeper - like Europe!

'mightymax', to whom the answer was first targeted at, though ... lives in Illinois (according to his profile), which is in USA. So although I stand to be corrected on the actual price range of the HK Models Mosquito (thanks for that btw!) - the comparable price against the Airfix 1/24 kit, for him, is more favourable! :D

Hi Roger,

Cheers, Heinz

Lucky you, up here the B-25 and Do 335 are €250  :mental:

Edited by AndersN

Don't think so.  It was my understanding when the kit first came out that Airfix had long term plans for a Mk.IV.

When I spoke to the 'main man' at Telford last year the feeling at that time was that there would be NO 1/24 scale MkIV Mossie as they would have to completely retool it to the new generation process.

He maintained that he doubted that the sales of a MkIV would be sufficient to cover the retooling costs and that they'd sooner spend the money on something new.

Having listened to some ideas which had heads nodding in agreement in the conversation I think I'd rather have Airfix follow their natural instincts on this one!

I'm happy with the brand new tooling from HK in 1/32, but would you all sooner have a MkIV Mossie or a late mark Spitty or Hawker Sea Fury in it's place instead?

These were some of the ideas kicking around at the time, I hope one of these gets chosen!!  :thumbsup: 

Still very interesting times!

Hi guys,

Three years ago when this kit first appeared I wasn't into aircraft and didn't have the stash in the back bedroom I have today. So the re-issue of this model is high on my list and the quoted price of £139 is reasonable considering the size and detail. And maybe the second hand ones on e-bay will now drop to sensible prices. So tough cheddar to all the hoarders and rip off merchants trying to extort £300 plus!

Regards,

Bruce Crosby

Of course if you had a spare one and someone offered you 300 sovs for it, you'd politely decline and hand it over for less than half that, because you're not a "hoarder" or a "rip-off merchant", right?  :innocent:

It's worth whatever someone who wants one badly enough is willing to pay. Supply & demand and all that.

Finally ... not all of us have the luxury of time available to build what we buy now ... My working hours are long and recreation time extremely rare. I buy now (while I have the cash!) in order to avoid the problem that you perceive - finding the kit - later, when I do have time!! ... So if I don't buy now - then, indeed it is "Tough Cheddar" :D

Same here. My modelling time is also limited but having missed out on a few now OOP releases in the past that I now wish I'd snagged when they were readily available at RRP, my policy these days is just to buy anything I fancy while it's there, because you never know how long it will be around for. That was my thinking behind getting the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon (not something that will get built any time soon) and why I'm building up my WNW collection - although in the case of the latter I still missed out on the W.29 and the LVG.

Edited by Babelfish Steve