Hasegawa P-47D

mbnz77

Hi All

I just bought the Tarheel Hal version of this kit as I saw it going cheap on Ebay... Have to admit I don't know much about the P-47 but I have always been keen to build one.

Anyway, I'm not too keen on the Tarheel paint scheme so I am wondering if this version is the same as the regular Hasegawa P-47D apart from the decals? I.e. Will it be strait forward to build this and paint/decal in another scheme?

Yes and yes.  However, what you get in the box can be made into different block number P-47D's.  Different block numbered aircraft have different features such as but not limited to, corrugated vs. flat cockpit floor (P-47D-25 vs. P-47D-27 and later) and/or dive flaps (P-47D-30 and later) which will also include moving the landing light outboard to the wing tip.  NOTE:  The corrugated cockpit floor is not an option in the kit.  In order to accurately build any P-47D-25/26, you'll need to install an aftermarket cockpit set with the corrugated floor; the remainder of the options are included in the kit.  So, while the kit is the same as what's included in the regular P-47D kit, the markings you choose and the block number of the aircraft will dictate which options you will install on the kit and/or which aftermarket you will need to acquire (if any) depending on the level of accuracy you wish to achieve.  The fin fillet is also included in the regular P-47D kit and was installed as a field modification on many P-47D-30 aircraft (and possibly earlier block aircraft) and onward until it was incorporated onto production line aircraft.  I don't have serial number breaks for the factory fin fillet installation so you'll have to rely on references/source information for that.

As an FYI: In your search for a suitable P-47D scheme, you may run across what's referred to as the P-47M.  These aircraft were the "hotrod" jugs of the species and were the fastest of all production P-47's with a top speed of over 470 mph at 32,000 ft in war emergency power (faster than the P-51D Mustang).  The P-47M on the outside is extremely similar to the P-47D-30/40 aircraft but came from the factory with no wing external hardpoints for  ordnance or rocket rails.  In theatre, the aircraft were modified to carry external fuel tanks under the wings but never carried bombs or rockets.  There were approximately 127 (if memory serves) P-47M-1RE's built and all of them went to the 56th FG in England.  They were delivered in natural metal finish around February 1945 but engine troubles kept them grounded until March/April 1945.  These aircraft were painted by the 56th and wore very distinctive color schemes ranging from the traditional grey/green over natural metal to black over natural metal and two-tone blue over natural metal.  The color scheme was dictated by which squadron the aircraft was assigned to.  Very colorful aircraft and a lot of us are drawn to these aircraft because of it.  You may be as well.  However, in order to turn the regular P-47D kit into a P-47M requires one major visible modification.  You need to replace the kit engine (or the prop reduction gearcase thereof) with what's called a C series gearcase.  Without going into the differences between R-2800 engines ad nauseum, the P-47M gearcase is primarily round and studded with bolts whereas the regular P-47D prop reduction gearcase is bullet shaped.  Replace that and you can effectively have yourself a P-47M.

Edited by Juggernut

The "Tarheel Hal" release has all four types of prop used on the P-47D, the needle blade Curtiss, the symmetrical blade Curtiss, the asymmetrical Curtiss and the Hamilton Standard paddle blade.  The initial P-47D release has all but the asymmetrical Curtiss paddle blade prop if memory serves (I don't have that kit in my collection any more, I built it).  The symmetrical Curtiss electric is correct for the vast majority of P-47M's, if not all of them.

As an FYI: In your search for a suitable P-47D scheme, you may run across what's referred to as the P-47M.  These aircraft were the "hotrod" jugs of the species and were the fastest of all production P-47's with a top speed of over 470 mph at 32,000 ft in war emergency power (faster than the P-51D Mustang).  The P-47M on the outside is extremely similar to the P-47D-30/40 aircraft but came from the factory with no wing external hardpoints for  ordnance or rocket rails.  In theatre, the aircraft were modified to carry external fuel tanks under the wings but never carried bombs or rockets.  There were approximately 127 (if memory serves) P-47M-1RE's built and all of them went to the 56th FG in England.  They were delivered in natural metal finish around February 1945 but engine troubles kept them grounded until March/April 1945.  These aircraft were painted by the 56th and wore very distinctive color schemes ranging from the traditional grey/green over natural metal to black over natural metal and two-tone blue over natural metal.  The color scheme was dictated by which squadron the aircraft was assigned to.  Very colorful aircraft and a lot of us are drawn to these aircraft because of it.  You may be as well.  However, in order to turn the regular P-47D kit into a P-47M requires one major visible modification.  You need to replace the kit engine (or the prop reduction gearcase thereof) with what's called a C series gearcase.  Without going into the differences between R-2800 engines ad nauseum, the P-47M gearcase is primarily round and studded with bolts whereas the regular P-47D prop reduction gearcase is bullet shaped.  Replace that and you can effectively have yourself a P-47M.

They also had dive brakes/flaps?

I have the Original P-47D from hasegawa at the top of my stash - I can check what propellers is included if needed by someone.. :)