Kittyhawk 1/32 T-6G Texan

LSP_Kevin

Kev,

I checked on my reference photos and I have T-6's from a few museums.  

Unfortunately a lot of them like the T-6  in Nara, Japan has had it's engine stripped and then sprayed a protective silver paint.  

The one at the Museo Del Aire in Cuatro Vientos is in original state and and is a medium blue grey.  

Will check on Photoshop tonight and get you the RGB Values so you can at least check on screen, if you want.

Let me know.

Kev,

I checked on my reference photos and I have T-6's from a few museums.  

Unfortunately a lot of them like the T-6  in Nara, Japan has had it's engine stripped and then sprayed a protective silver paint.  

The one at the Museo Del Aire in Cuatro Vientos is in original state and and is a medium blue grey.  

Will check on Photoshop tonight and get you the RGB Values so you can at least check on screen, if you want.

Let me know.

Thanks mate, that'd be great! It seems to me that FS15044 is definitely too dark, unless I'm seeing the wrong colour when I look it up. I suspect mixing up some random blue/grey would probably be adequate at this stage.

Kev

Kevin,  Here is the best two pictures I found that describe the greyish/blue color. 

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Fundacion-Infante-de/North-American-T-6G/0473271/L/&sid=383a4751c801af1ed5bd81e785f59e53

http://www.airliners.net/photo/North-American-T-6G/1687127/L/&sid=383a4751c801af1ed5bd81e785f59e53

Hope that helps Kevin.  By the way great looking wildcat.    :coolio:

OK fellas, I ran my eye over my limited paint selection, looking for something that would make for a passable blueish-grey without having to resort to mixing it, and came up with the following:

p7WzbA.jpg

It's actually not a lot different from the colour of the kit's plastic, though quite a bit darker. Now, before I confess to what colour it is, I'd like to hear your collective feedback about it, uninfluenced by the knowledge of the actual paint used.

Whaddaya reckon? Passable?

Kev

It looks like the color I seen in pictures Kevin so my guess is it is:       LSP_Kevin Blue/Grey    :)

Ha! Good one. Time to fess up: it's actually Tamiya's XF-82 "Ocean Gray 2" - not sure what the "2" is about, but as soon as I saw the colour of the lid I thought, damn, that's close! Probably closer than the home-brew mix I used on the Wildcat, but as others have said, the colour used on the front of these engines did seem to vary.

So, if you'll permit me another question, what colour the rods? Silver or black? I seem to recall seeing them done either way, so I'm presuming the answer is just that: either.

Kev

So, if you'll permit me another question, what colour the rods? Silver or black? I seem to recall seeing them done either way, so I'm presuming the answer is just that: either.

Both of the example pics of Smokeys, show exactly that Kev, both silver::

1687127.jpg

AND black.............but I personally like the black rods w/silver connections:

0473271.jpg