HPH DH Hornet and Hannants...

fightersweep

Steve, you are going to love this kit.

I did the pre-order with Hannants after having no luck on the HpH site and it arrived a week before Christmas.

Worked out cheaper from Hannants which was a bonus.

I didn't realise resin could be this good.

Enjoy!

:thumbsup:

Phil;

I can't wait to see this kit! I understand there is a slight shape problem with the nose (there's an amazing build in progress on Britmodeller), but I'm not sure that will worry me too much.

I put a preorder in with Hannants back in mid November too, but you certainly did well to get yours before Christmas!

Mine should be here next week... :thumbsup:

Regards;
Steve

The nose/cockpit (and a few other areas) was the reason I was thinking too much and didn't get one at Telford (and on the way home wished I had! ;) )

Had several quite long chats with john Adams of Aeroclub over the weekend regarding this kit and the Hornet in general (he has a huge amount of material/research on the Hornet).

A really good friend of mine - and former boss in the RAF VR(T), Flt Lt Chris Armstrong - served as an armourer on 33 Sqn with Hornets in Malaya and I'm afraid his enthusiasm for the Hornet rubbed off a little. I managed to build him a 1:72 version from the Frog kit before he died - but have always wanted to do one in 1:32.

The in-progress by Peter of Airscale is also on here - and, going by his superb Sea Fury we had on the stand at Telford, will be an utterly amazing and inspirational build!  :thumbsup:

Iain

Hi Iain;

Peter's build is amazing so far. One of those builds that makes me want to quit the hobby and take up something else as I could never achieve work like that!  :bow:

I'm not sure if I will tackle the nose issue. I feel that I should, but I will see how I feel when I have the kit in my hands. Either way, I'll be more than happy to have a 1/32 Hornet in my collection. A type I've waited years for. 

I wonder if HPH will release a Sea Hornet boxing? I've always liked the Sky/EDSG colours. Although I could just follow Peter's thread and see how he tackles the conversion. Maybe I'll just have to buy two!

Honestly, have we ever had it so good?

Regards;
Steve

Well, I got my Hornet through the post yesterday from Hannants. It's my first HPH model, and the first time that I have seen one up close, and WOW! what a beautiful kit! It's a jewel, and everything in the box that you need. I'm mightily impressed.

Iain:

After pulling out all of my Hornet reference, I can now clearly see the nose issue myself. I must admit, that I am unsure whether or not to leave it, or try the correction as Peter has with his superb build. I have to say, that at £143, I'm a little nervous about trying it even though I enjoy scratch building, conversions etc! Like you though, now I know the issue is there, I may find it difficult to ignore.

I looked at loads of side on Hornet photos, and most show clearly the almost straight line carried from the canopy runners to the windscreen. However, there were a few that seemed to show a more pronounced sweep up to the front of the screen, and I can see how some plans may have interpreted that. I'll try and post some pictures here to illustrate my point.

One last point. After re-reading Peter's Hornet build, I feel like re-packing my Hornet and sending it back to Hannants! His work is stunning! (maybe Airscale could do a Hornet correction set? :lol: )

Regards;

Steve 

Edited by fightersweep

Mine arrived yesterday too - gave chocky to my wife last night :)

Nose isn't as far out as I'd thought - the contour under the windshield isn't bad - and is different to that illustrated in the kits artwork - which is what caused initial concerns amongst us bystanders when kit first announced... Because of the angle of the windshield in plan if a photo isn't perfectly perpendicular to the side elevation it can make it look like there's an upsweep there...

There are some other things that look like they could do with tweaking (subject to taste!) - but I won't go there until I start my build (which will be very soon).

I'm very pleased with this kit so far...

Peter's a bit good isn't he! Not sure if you came to Telford - his Sea Fury is a work of art and his Hornet looks likely to surpass it in terms of quality - I think he must have been a watch maker in a previous life! Really nice guy too...

Have fun!

Iain

You know Iain, based on that appraisal, I may decide to leave the kit alone. I can live with a problem if it's slight, but not if it's glaringly obvious e.g. Trumpeters Ju-87B nose. My build will be a little further down the line if I'm disciplined, so I will look forward to your build when it starts.

I didn't make Telford unfortunately, although I did dither about going to pick up a Hornet. I think I'm glad I held back now as it gave me a nice belated Christmas present to look forward too. Like you, the choccy will go to the wife as she bought it for me. Actually, he first reaction when the parcel turned up was; "It's not very big for £143 is it?" To which I replied; "Yes dear, I know, but it does come with free chocolate". That seemed to work wonders, and if more manufacturers could include free chocolate, I could legitimately get more kits into the house without having to sneak them in!

I would love to get to see Peter's Hornet in the flesh if it ends up at a show anywhere this year. I admire work like that greatly, but could never get close myself. I've been gradually getting a bit long sighted and can't focus too close now, so the fiddly stuff is getting trickier. Maybe I should invest in one of those magnifying/hat thingies. I can only assume that Peter uses an electron microscope to achieve that level of detail!

Regards;

Steve 

I'm having the same issues with near vision Steve - now have reading glasses - which help a lot - but a lot of the time I'm using my large angle-poise magnifier with daylight bulb that's similar to this. Wouldn't be without it!

Don't ever be put off by what others are doing - take it as inspiration. What I like about these forums is the willingness to share ideas/techniques - we're all learning together - and we're always learning! And practice...

Perhaps we'll see you at Telford this year - you're more than welcome to join the rest of the mad-house on the stand  :)

Iain

Totally agree Iain! I've learnt loads since I joined this site, especially in the realms of scratch building and converting. I think I'm almost ready to have a crack at a full scratch built model, and a lot of that comes from what I've learnt here. Now if only I could become happier with my airbrush work!

I may look into the reading glasses! At 44, I was reluctant to admit that the old body is starting to fall apart, so I should go and get an eye check.

Thanks for the offer of joining in with the fun on the stand. One of my resolutions for this year is to get out and about to make my hobby more sociable...join a club or do something. I see you're not too far from me..maybe a beer one day?

Regards;
Steve

I may look into the reading glasses! At 44, I was reluctant to admit that the old body is starting to fall apart, so I should go and get an eye check.

In around 2.5 years I've gone from not needing glasses at all to needing them for everything within about a metre radius of my head. At 47 I'm now nearly totally dependent on them for close-up anything (reading, modelling, twiddling knobs). I need to find a new optivisor that accommodates them better, as I need to use them together now. Perhaps a magnifying lamp is a better option. But yes, middle-age is certainly showing itself!

Apologies for the small hijack too...

Kev

No hi-jack Kev! 

I must admit that I have been surprised at how quickly my eyesight has detriorated. I've gone from no problems to not being able to focus at anything less than about 30cm in around a year and a half. It's very frustrating, but maybe self induced as I have probably given the old eyeballs a bashing over the years. It's easy to take their health for granted. I'll book an appointment this afternoon! Time for some glasses I suspect!

Regards;
Steve

Edited by fightersweep

I've always worn glasses (long-sighted) - but last two years anything closer than about 50cm has been a problem - and, yes, happened very quickly!

For the first time ever I actually used my magnifier whilst airbrushing the other week - mind you that was the He219 and that scheme screws up your eyes at the best of times!

There are a few forum members out Brizzle way too - perhaps a Sunday lunchtime pint and natter might be good sometime in the spring. I'm a little way out though - Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire border between Chipping Norton and Burford.

Telford really is worth visiting - ideally for the weekend. If you visit we'll reserve some space for your built Hornet ;)

Going back to the comment about never having had it so good - bearing in mind I'm about to start on a Meteor *and* Hornet the answer has to be a resounding 'no we haven't' - I'd never have dared dreamed about these two subjects as kits... And I type this with that huge B-17 box staring at me!

Wonderful times for the hobby...

Iain

Traditionally, we've always said how the golden age of 1/32 modelling was the 1960's and 70's, particularly with Revell. Recent times eclipse this totally! As you say, who would have thought that we would see a Meteor IV and DH Hornet in 1/32! When I think back over the last few years, I can barely believe what we've had. A 1/32 He-111 and Ju -88, and now the He-219 from Revell. Who would have thought? And if anyone would have told me 10 years ago that I would have a Siskin, Flycatcher, Bulldog, Fury, He-51, Hart, Demon, Hs-123, Fiat Cr-42 etc in my stash, I would have said they were mad! And now we have the likes of the B-17G and Lancaster to follow! Whatever next? Not least of all, we finally have a T-6 now! How cool is that?

I know as modellers, we can think of loads more subjects that we want. I know I would love to see a Dornier 17z and for some reason, a Fiat G.46 and a Piston Provost. Maybe one day I'll have these in my stash too!

I did go to Telford several years back...it's an amazing and expensive experience. I did my first two years there running the big Midland Counties stand...but had little time to look around. Very frustrating! I plan to go this year...so I'll have to get cracking on the Hornet then.

A meet up sounds like a cracking idea. Any excuse to sup ale and talk plastic is a winner with me! I guess I should sign up to IPMS and the 32 sig too? Sounds like a plan!

Regards;
Steve