Final finish

Edward

Apologies for such a basic question, but is it best to put a final coat of flat on a World War 1

plane? Would semi-gloss be OK or better? Presumably this is the long sought question to which 

Future is not the answer. Or is it?

Any brand of semi or flat to avoid?

I usually do my final coat with a semi-matte varnish. But for some speficic finishes it could be flat, or even gloss.

Anyway, if you find you finish too much flat, you can polish it a bit with micromesh until you get the slight sheen you want.

Funny that you bring this subject up, as a few of us had this discussion at the LHS.  And the consensus was that most vehicles look to have a semi gloss finish.  Sure there are some that are pretty flat, but, I imagine that it has a lot to do with weather conditions, and care received.

My 2 cents, but I am going to start finishing more in semi gloss.

While it seems that a lot of WWI fighters (perhaps most), had a clear dope finish that left a semi-gloss sheen, my personal preference is still to spray it dead flat. My reasoning is that a semi-gloss sheen when reduced to (1:32) of the original, is going to lose so much of its sheen as to be for all practical purposes invisible, plus my personal view is that anything other than flat seems toy-like and unrealistic for a WWI machine.

Interesting topic. I have been finishing most of my models in semi gloss as I reckon it gives the model just the right sheen. I think flat coat sucks in too much light and can leave it looking a bit dull. In the display cabinet you will find that there may not be enough natural light around to reflect back to the viewer so you need to give it a hand.

I have been having excellent success with Tamiya acrylic clear coats of late and thoroughly recommend them.

Eric

Well I just checked on the Pfalz, but all of the images were gone. I did however find a link to the main site where it's featured, but no sheen of any sort shows up on my monitor. Great looking bird though, that's for sure.