B-17G Double the fun!

pzcreations

yup..I saw that after I had painted the stains..and theres noway I was going to repaint the whole wing again to fix a minor thing such as that.

I thought that the exhaust stains go around the vents at the bottom of the wings? ...I could be wrong.

Yep...there's an article on B-17 exhaust stains on LSP's  Tips,Tech section.

thanks for the comments guys..really appreciate it

Guest Nigelr32

She really is gorgeous pz. I love the rust effect you got on the exhausts.

May I please use your tail pic as a "Before" pic when I have finished my mods?

sure Nige ,Id love to see it..and thanks for the compliments.. I was asked how I got the effect on the exhausts..and the colors I use are actually skintones over a camo black brown base..when I paint the ones for Super Mouse I'll take some step by step photos to help.

sure Nige ,Id love to see it..and thanks for the compliments.. I was asked how I got the effect on the exhausts..and the colors I use are actually skintones over a camo black brown base..when I paint the ones for Super Mouse I'll take some step by step photos to help.

thanks Michael! I'll have a step process soon on the next B17 Im working on.

• 3 weeks later...

Heres where Im at so far on Super Mouse..he's just about done... heres the exhaust sequence I promised..for starters, a little reference

100_7762_zps2b8f528e.jpg

100_7763_zps95672113.jpg

For the paints I used Vallejo..but your choice of brand, and really your choice of colors work too..besides, have yet to see any exhaust that looks the same ..

First up Ive primed in black...you can go over this with some burnt or raw umber if you choose..this one I did not.,though on Baby I started with a chocolate brown.

100_9482_zpsacea5c68.jpg

Next step I used Andreas Pinky Flesh..but this can be any brand or flesh tone you choose.. for this step I set the air pressure really low so I get a sprinkle/spatter spray (or make your paint thick,either way) ..do this over the whole exhaust,but dont go for full coverage

100_9483_zps71cb81ab.jpg

Dont clean the paint out just yet..just turn the pressure back up. Now apply the same color in a random mottle effect ,again, not full coverage

100_9484_zps0fb9f415.jpg

Next up we'll go with some Vallejo Light Brown, again, do this in random spots..

100_9485_zpsf8ba498a.jpg

I also used the Light brown to mostly cover the main pipe, but still kept it almost transparent to allow the other colors to show through

100_9487_zps3d79deb6.jpg

Next up I used some Vallejo Yellow Lasur (sulfur yellow) in a  few areas..

100_9486_zps60ddff65.jpg

Now we move on using a fine paint brush.. I used Vallejos Black Grey and made random spots and scrapes over the rusted areas,as well as the pipe clamps

100_9488_zps97a29465.jpg

Next I used Vallejos Umber & Black wash to pick out some of the details (oils work fine too) but I didnt want to have to wait for the acrylics to cure.

I also used it to make streaks in the rust colors.

100_9489_zps519157fa.jpg

This was followed by a medium gray for the metal clamps and a few scrapes in the metal.

100_9490_zps6bed7e08.jpg

and finally you can install these on the model...

100_9491_zps693c2adc.jpg

Followed by your favorite exhaust stain colors, which in this case I used Vallejos 'Wash" of umber shade and black shade in the airbrush

100_9492_zpsf5073fc6.jpg

again, the color pallet is really a matter of choice, and it doesnt matter how sloppy you get with it..used exhaust pipes can vary widely in flesh tones,browns,oranges,yellows..just grab some colored reference and go to town!