Trumpeter 1/24 Messerschmitt BF109G-6 late

Sparzanza

Hi Sparzanza

Been a bit busy so I haven't been able to keep up until now - looks great - love the scheme !!

You asked about the color of the tank and the gun pods. I'd say that the tanks didn't stay with the plane for long before it was dropped and a new one was taken from stock. So I'd paint that one RLM76. The gun pods are somewhat more undetermined. I'd think that they came originally in 76, but I've seen them overpainted in the wing lower color, but also some that were in another color - eg black on 76 wing. So it is entirely possible that your gun pods could have been painted in that terrible color (not you, the color!!) but personally I would have gone with 76

Keep pushing on !! Looks good

Thanks Jamme and Thomas for your comments!

Regarding your input about the droptank & gunpods, Thomas - I had already painted them the horrid green... But at least I got it right on one of the items. However, you've taught me something that I will know the next time I start tackling a 109! Tak!

Here's an update... some of the decals have been put on. The undercarriage crosses and swastikas went on like a dream, but the upper wing crosses had a thousand airbubbles for whatever reasons that I eventually managed to whip into shape with the help of several cuts with my new Xacto-knives, and MicroSol. After that it was smooth sailing with the decals; stencils here and there, and the droptank ones went on without any problems. My black wash managed to sneak in underneath them however... after that it was a simple matter of gently removing them and putting them to the side. They're intact, but I don't know if I will try to re-use them, or go for the fresh red ones on the sheet. We will see. I proceeded to put a subtle wash into the panel lines & rivets on the undercarriage and I reckon it turned out alright - still some places to go over though. I'm also making my own masks for the fuselage crosses as they're brown/white instead of the traditional black/white. Tricky.

DSC00341_zpse257a11e.jpg

DSC00337_zps759b6ce3.jpg

DSC00338_zps973210cb.jpg

DSC00339_zps55860b52.jpg

DSC00335_zpsc4321506.jpg

DSC00336_zps53f8d421.jpg

DSC00344_zps2d4288d2.jpg

Onto the next task.

Since my request for a new wheelnut yielded no results whatsoever, I started making a new one out of the hollow plastic pipe inside a broken pen. It took a few attempts to get it nice and straight; but the dimensions were correct.. and all I had to do after gluing it in place with superglue was filling the hole in the other end. It is by no means perfect as it lacks nut detail, but I suppose it is better than an empty spot in the middle of the rim.

I had also ripped of all paint from the tyres as the brown wash I applied a month ago still wasn't dry... so I primed the tyres very thoroughly with the acrylic paint that Boris gave to me. They'll recieve some black paint and brown wash/drybrushing soon.

DSC00334_zps2dd5d4ba.jpg

DSC00340_zps576c780d.jpg

DSC00343_zps2404267d.jpg

im wondering.... the size of the hangar you must have to put all this gems.....

Hey shep, hope this answers your question:

skrivbord1_zps5df4e50c.jpg

skrivbord2_zpse68c5d93.jpg

Thanks for your comment. ;)

Here's an update ... I really wasn't happy about Trumpeter's close to non-existant panel lines, so I carved them deeper so that my washes would actually sink into them. I also managed to remove my hideously measured hand painted fuselage crosses with the help of oven cleaner, rescribing, and more Humbrol 90. The left side still needs another coat, but overall I'm pleased.

DSC00347_zps0f0dbdff.jpg

DSC00348_zpsf6eff38b.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Sparz

Nice progress on the 109 and thanks for showing us how you display your 24th scale beauties! Glad to see you were able to remove the fuselage markings without any damage. Looking forward to seeing how the masked markings come out.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Sparz

Nice progress on the 109 and thanks for showing us how you display your 24th scale beauties! Glad to see you were able to remove the fuselage markings without any damage. Looking forward to seeing how the masked markings come out.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thank you for the praise, Mr. Pools!

I have now masked off and painted the fuselage crosses; I did this simply by cutting away the outer white markings on the decals, taping the cross in place, and mask the outlines with tape. After that it was a simple matter of dabbing some paint on with a sponge, and here are the results after the first "coat". I don't plan on masking and painting the white parts though, as I still have the decal ones for that purpose... but we'll see how it turns out.

DSC00351_zpse9f7b908.jpg

DSC00352_zpsa721a99f.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Thank you Mal. :)

After 3 coats of Humbrol 98 (dark brown) I held my breath as I removed the tape... upon exhaling I could tell that I had done well. Mayhap a bit rough around the edges, but nothing a little sanding won't solve.

They do look a bit askew, but I think it's the camera playing tricks on the eyes as I can assure you that they're completely straight and lined up in person. I apologize for the poor image quality, but it's very awkward to photograph a plane this size while getting the proper amount of light on it. My photo "studio" is not yet re-setup since the holidays. Still, I hope these images suffice.

DSC00356_zps830f69cf.jpg

DSC00357_zps5bbb9cdf.jpg

After applying the white parts that I removed from the decals themselves, I could convince myself that I must've done something right. I also added a few more stencils.

Back to rescribing, although perhaps a bit more thoroughly this time... and then the search goes on for the yellow 5's.

DSC00359_zps18f9e548.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Panel lines have now been re-washed, droptank painted RLM76 and washed, and tyres are also sorted out. Well, almost. The tyres do need a little more work, and the droptank needs its decals.. after the cleanup. I also gave the back of the landing gears a wash to clean up later on, hopefully making all the little rivets stand out nicely.

Again I apologize for the messy pictures, but our entire apartment is a mess now preparing for new furniture, and my visiting brother is also using my current model table for his computer... crowded stuff!

There really isn't any good spot for snapping some pictures.

DSC00361_zps89c31fc3.jpg

DSC00362_zpsb869c050.jpg

DSC00363_zps9951e422.jpg

DSC00364_zpsf348dde8.jpg

The wash that I re-applied has now been cleaned up and it has sunk nicely into most recesses. Goodie. The droptank is also completed.. propeller re-painted with schwartzgrün spinner according to the updated profile - and I couldn't help myself but to dryfit the landing gear and check the pose. Check her out - not a drop of glue and she stands so proudly.

DSC00368_zpsd09591a6.jpg

DSC00373_zps452f0465.jpg

DSC00374_zpsce4a9691.jpg

DSC00371_zps43567ce6.jpg

DSC00369_zps013e457c.jpg

Thank you Mal. :)

I've weathered the droptank a little, I've been told that they became very, very filthy indeed and here's my attempt at replicating it. I used Humbrol 21 (Gloss black) highly diluted and made random sploshes here and there at the topside, and at the bottom I settled for a little drybrushing with Humbrol 29 dark earth.

DSC00375_zps16fcdcb7.jpg

DSC00376_zps8e96863b.jpg

Edited by Sparzanza

Guest Peterpools

Sparz

Super progress and love the weathering on the drop tank. Nic work on the gear and it's hard to believe the 109 sits perfectly on her legs without any glue at all - nice work fo sure

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Mr. Pools.

Here's an update. "WHAT THE FORK" you may ask. Well. Silvering on every single decal after applying matt varnish, and fuselage looking like it did.. I decided to disassemble it and use the clear fuselage parts provided by Trumpeter. The wings will then recieve tons of oven cleaner. After that... I don't know. Missing too many decals to do any of the other schemes, including the swastika as I've given it away... I guess I will tuck the parts down in a box and do something else for a while. After all this work, seeing it end up like it did... it was like climbing Mount Everest, and then as I approached the top, a seagull flies by and poopoos in my face making me fall all the way down again. That's how it feels at the moment. :P

But thanks everyone for following with such great interest!

DSC00379_zps36de5add.jpg