TAMIYA P-51D OLD CROW: UPDATE 1/4/14: FINISHED & IN THE BOOK

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Kev

So very much appreciate your kind words. I'm hoping to make some heavy progress the next week or so and with a bit of luck, Old Crow will be in the books.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

John

Much appreciated. I used both Micro Set and Sol, for both the EagleCal and Tamiya decal application with no problems or staining so far. For the checker board decals on the nose end of the cowling. I also used Walther's Solvaset to get them to sit down correctly. I do a one or two tiny wrinkles I'll have to remove but considering how tight the radius was, I consider it a huge success. Even though the Tamiya Decals are thicker then the EagleCal decals, they went down with absolutely no problems. I'm a firm believer in the Micro System and follow their procedure to the tee. On hard to work decals, nothing works as well as Solvaset but test before using, as some decals are a bit to tender and do not react well to the product.

Peter

Beautiful Alclad job Peter!  Your hard work and patience with primer drying has definitely paid off.

FYI, some of the Mustang experts like "Tourist" over at ARC told me that the "often missed" canopy aerial wire to the tail was deleted on European P-51D's, but was retained on many Pacific theater Mustangs, hence the differences often found with and without the wire.

Edited by chuck540z3

Guest Peterpools

Hi Chuck

Thanks for checking in and the kind words. I always thought on the early D's, the antenna wire was used and then was removed later on.  I'm working forma a few photos and a painting as well and just like how it looks, so I figured I go with it just to be a bit different. I'm working my way through the endless little details and small assemblies to finish her up in a week or so. The biggest problem is all the extra care need in handling the model for fear of finger prints and whatever.

After Old Crow is in the books, I'm planning on doing a F-16I Sufa with all the goodies, as I've been collecting the after market add-ons for the build.

How is your foot doing after the pins were removed? Hopefully, the pain is subsiding and your starting to move about.

Have a very Happy New Year

Peter

From what I recall- and I'm only the messenger because I am no P-51D expert by any means- the wire may have been installed on early Mustangs, but in Europe it was deleted.  I bought an extra canopy for my P-51D build just in case I wrecked one drilling the hole, but I was told not to bother with it since "ETO" Mustangs didn't have it.  Many paintings, apparently, have it placed there in error.

There's a discussion of this topic here:

http://www.mustangsmustangs.us/thehangar/index.php?topic=395.0

Personally- and it's your model- I like the wire whether it's accurate or not, because it adds a neat detail.  If you want it super accurate, you may not want to use it. 

I see you have the front wing panel off in front of the landing gear legs.  Are you going to allow gear removal with the magnet attached panel?  If so, you might want to bolster the edges of the panel because the panel gap is fairly wide with them installed that way.  It think some CA glue with lots of sanding and dry fitting would do the trick.

My foot is recovering fairly well now, so thanks for asking.  It's been a long two months of hobbling around in pain!  :-)

Edited by chuck540z3

Guest Peterpools

Hi Chuck

Most important of all is the good news that your foot is on the mend and you are feeling better. Thanks for the link and it looks like I most likely spent a few hours or so drilling the hole in the canopy for nothing more then fresh air. It it wasn't on Old Crow and ETO Mustangs, then it's a no go.

I did a lot of fitting and adjusting of the panels in front of the gear and will be installing them after I fix the one screw that won't drive home to lock the gear in place. I'm sure I managed yo get CCA in the nut or somewhere  and it's preventing the screw from seating all the way. The other gear screw is perfect. I have a few extra screws and I'll cut one down and see how it works. If not, I'll just glue the one gear leg in and then add the covers.

Thanks for the he,lp and link and I'll be heading over there in a bit.

My motto: never too old to learn something new and never to old to screw something up.

Peter