FLYING - Flying Fortress after the "Flak-Kat"

marauderdriver

To many computer GEEKS that know how to do CGI,but don't have any idea how physical things work in the REAL world.

I showed this to my best friend who is a CGI expert, but has also been around my model building for 40 years and we beat the crap out of this clip from  both

reality and graphic wise. These are more gaming graphics then movie and there is a huge difference in the two.

The problem with most WAR movies is they compress time and try to tell a months or years long story in 2 hours.aka Memphis Belle 25 missions in 1.that is why it was so bad. Also an untrue story didn't help and they always have to throw in the GRATITIOUS love story. 

they don't make 'em like  Tora Tora Tora   Battle of Britian, Longest Day .

I'll shut up

Jack

No, Jack, don't shut up. You're exactly right.  I remember what they said about Memphis Belle.  It seems whatever could happen to a B-17 in the air, happened in one mission on one aircraft.  The vets told me that no one aircraft takes that much damage.  It's true that in the early days of the air war and we didn't have air superiority, a good number of A/C didn't come back due to one thing or another but not that much.  The other thing they said was you can't run around a B-17 like that especially through the bomb bay.   The problem?  A striking number of people take these movies as true history.  It seems movies are where they get most of their education about WWII.  The producers are pretty much interested in the bottom line.  

Unfortunately, YOU SIR!  Nailed it! 

They do not teach REAL HISTORY in school

And their parents don't KNOW either.................

When Pearl Harbor first hit the screens, my 35 year old. Professional base ball player, College educated, Branch Manager, BOSS

said to me " I didn't know about the Doolittle Raider's until I saw the movie, I thought The Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor so we NUKED THEM"! 

A true JAW dropping experience

And then we experienced 9/11 together,with CNN, which blew him away when I said "BUSH is coming here to Barksdale"

I figured out him coming here after being intrenched in the politics of how they think of security. They wanted him in a secure on the ground location 

and HERE WE ARE    I saw the HIGHCAP F-15's first at about 15000 ft and about came the LOCAP at about 5000ft, above my work place.

Saw him when he landed, saw his speech, saw him take-off for what was to be Omaha.

Interesting Day 

Jack

"

You Hyjkd mi tpred!!!!!!!!!!!

Please continue to help me ramble on.and ................on.............and.................on!

I have to throw out some stuff so I don't get lost in the shuffle...................

Have a few pics and will post again to keep this going till I can get A camera

dragging on 5 crewmen for camera. but don't know if I can wait.

Jack

Ehh...It was just meant to inspire you to continue with your build....At least they got the basic shapes of the B-17.. which is more than I can say about the model. In essence it's supposed to remind us that men risked their lives...some died..during risky missions...And that we should never forget that. I'll just delete that post.

Perhaps...the Speilberg/Hanks HBO The Men of the Mighty Eighth..will suffice.

Edited by superfly

Superfly   My intent was not to hurt anyone's feeling, and I apologize if I hurt your's......................I Truly Am Sorry

As you say "Their sacrifice should never be forgotten"  I totally agree,as most everyone should.

The problem in the USA children are not taught HISTORY...............Nothing like what has happened in the last 250 years.

World War II is about 10 paragraph's even when I was in school 40 years ago it was not much more than that.

They push Date's and numbers and names around And your left wondering what years did King Arthur rule? 

I'm sorry if I bashed the clip, but most see this as REAL and it is not totally accurate, and it has to be perfect if it is going to represent something REAL.

History Demands Accuracy.

The clip is well done for what it is,and would be good in a game.

Superfly  I would appreciate it if you would put the thread back and let others see it. Please do not let the rant's of an old man stop others from enjoying it.

I'm really afraid of how history can get "confused" and it starts to get lost, I think of what they're going to think when they dig US up in 50,000 years.

these folks were NUTS

Thank You Superfly

Regards

Jack

No worries Jack,

Movies should always be taken as entertainment and not as historical fact.

We get hung up on historical accuracy....but movies try to convey feeling and emotion.

I want to know how a young man felt.....to be far away from home....to be in harms way.....to be scared but still push ahead..

to feel that you may never make it out alive...

When i want historical facts...ill go to library or museum.....Movies will usually say..."Based on a true story "or "true events"...

which usually means its not entirely history accurate..

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know why I suddenly can move the pics............................. I'll post the few shots I have left..................to string you along until I get a camera.

I've put this on hold until then ,but do have her back to pre "flak-kat" condition minus the stuff you couldn't see............which is MOST of it

Staying out of oblivion

Jack

• 5 years later...

JMFLrqP.jpgSee I said I would finish her some day ….HAHAHA!.

Been building stuff for others for too long. Wanting to get my mojo working again.....something EASY & NOT TOO COMPLICATED!

I  think I may pull this one of the Shelf of Doom and see how she looks after 5 1/2 years.

Probably take some pics and start a new thread, unfortunately I lost the early pics on "The Bucket"

Have a OV-10D on the same shelf.

Will get the 17 out tomorrow and see about re-starting.

Not sure LSP is ready for my return......but hey!

Once I remember how to upload to imgur….It's ON!

Edited by marauderdriver