Petie 3rd 1/32 ?

Aircav1980

Just of my Big Beautiful Doll build I have another Tamiya 1/32 P-51 D already waiting for me. My initial thought was to do it in John Meyer's Petie 2nd. But while doing my homework I found that Petie 2nd was retired and John flew Petie 3rd in the epic battle of Y-29. I also found he scored 11.5 more victories in Petie 3rd. My major questions are does anyone make decals for Petie 3rd in 1/32? I cannot seem to find any. What are the marking differences between the two planes? What is a good color match for the blue? And last but not least does anyone make a mask set that would make masking the blue nose a little easier?

There are 1 32 decals for Petie's 2nd on an Eaglecals EC-142 sheet. I think the main differences between 2 and 3 are.

2nd serial = 414151

3rd serial = 415041

The font used on the two " Petie's " and serials are different.

John Meyer's name badge on the side of the sliding canopy is in black on 2nd and white on a black box on 3rd

Kill markings on both are different both in numbers and layout

Rudder is blue on 3rd and Nm on 2nd.

Dorsal antenna on 3rd is black and is Nm on 2nd.

Those are few off hand, I am sure someone will have more to add.

Hope this helps a little,

Graeme

Edited by mz826

Petie 2 and 3 are different aircraft. I think Aeromaster/Eagle Strike did some awhile back but they may be hard to find. And as far as I am aware, George Preddy did not fly Petie...his aircraft was "Cripes-A-Mighty"

Edited by TimC

Yes, George flew Cripes A Mighty.

Petie 3rd, flown by John Meyer, is a different aircraft (by s/n) than Petie 2nd though they are very similarly decorated. It was Petie 3rd that Meyer was flying while at Y-29.

EagleCals provides decals for Petie 2nd in their product line.

Mark Proulx

Eagle Strike 32045 has Petie 3rd, although it has a blue rudder which is incorrect according to Graeme above. Don't know if there are any other inaccuracies, which ES is known for. Main problem with the blue rudder is that serial on that part is white, not black. Should be fixable

EDIT: Graeme - Looking at pics around the net, I think the rudders are the other way 'round. Blue on 3d and NMF on 2nd. So it seems ES is correct too, and EagleCals has 2nd with NMF rudder.

Edited by Thomas Lund

Ok it seems that Eagle Strike 32045 has been discontinued. I have purchased the last copy one internet store had but it seems to be the last one I can find anywhere in 1/32 scale. My question is this, why does everyone make decals for Petie 2nd instead of Petie 3rd? From what I have read Meyers only had two victories in 2nd. It was also painted in the darker blue that the 352nd wore after late 1944 which I like better. I also like the black stripes on the wings and tail. What am I missing? My other question is does anyone know a good paint mixture for the later darker blue? I use Tamiya acrylics mostly but I am willing to branch out. I would like to stay acrylic if possible. I found it is really convenient to paint them over the Alclad. If you make any mistakes you can just wipe them off with a cotton ball wetted with a little Windex. Which does not effect the Alclad at all.

• 10 months later...

Gentlemen,

I found in my brothers stash an Eagle Strike 32045 decal but has no instruction sheet.

Any of you guys have the instruction sheet?

I would love a scan of it.

Yes, I am trying to finish my brothers 1/32 P-51, I believe he started it some 8 years ago and was one of his last projects before

his last take off, now I will love to finish it in his honor.

I have the Petie 2nd decal that came with the Dragon kit plus the Petie 3rd on the Eagle Strike set.

Just dont know if I am going to do Petie 2nd or 3rd or Cripes A Mighty!

All I know so far is that is going to have a blue nose.

This is going to be my first Military kit in over 15 yrs. I am an Airliner fan.

Thanks in advance,

Walter