"The Beast"

LSP_K2

I've long been a huge fan of the super heavy WWII German Jagdtiger tank destroyer. At roughly eighty tons (sources vary regarding actual weight), the Jagdtiger was four times heavier than the M-24 Chaffee, and outgunned virtually everything that it ever encountered. Delighted that I recently discovered the 1:35 Tamiya kit residing in my dungeon, I decided it was time to crank it out. Being slammed together almost entirely OOB, it’s gone rather rapidly so far. (Model is shown on a base originally built (still not finished), for my DML JS-2, and should be finished for our September/autumn invitational, if not before, though I'll be using a different base.)

031613002_zpsc9d75201.jpg

031613007_zpsdcf4bf4b.jpg

I must say that after comparing the Tamiya kit (new), to the Dragon/DML kit, I prefer the Dragon kit. The Tamiya kit has simplified many details and engineered the steel road wheels to death, each road wheel set consisting of three pieces instead of two (which they could have easily done), making a total of 54 pieces, not including all 18 axle/bearing caps. The fender design of the Tamiya kit does not lend itself easily to a partially fendered vehicle either, and almost all photos I've seen of the Jagdtiger are missing most (if not all), of the fender segments.

Thanks fellas. OK, tonight I finished off the right side, now I'm ready for mud under the sponsons, then paint. I've added a couple of road wheels on either side, raising the vehicle, to get a better sense of proportions.

DSCN3854_zps87b76bf0.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Awesome project and the vignette/dio is shaping up quite nice. Looking forward to following along with great interest.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. Perhaps I'll get to use some of my spiffy new Floquil paints? I intend to try some of the pre packaged "filters" (bottled washes), on this model too, as well as some packaged pigments. It's been a while since I entered any armor kits in a contest, and I'm anxious to do just that this fall.

Kevin, Great project so far. I am following it with great interest. I love the scheme you picked out for it. Might have to pick one of these up. I have several Tiger I's sitting in the corner to do. Dan

Surfing the web last night, I stumbled upon this picture. The frontal armor behid the gun mantlet was extraordinarily thick on the Jagdtiger, one of the reasons it was so difficult to deal with head-on.

23JagdtigerGlacisPlateDamag_zps5b1aa052.

Guest Peterpools

Kev

Nice start on the undersides and the rough cuts in the armor plate. Surely is mighty different the working on aircraft, Will be following and without question picking up some new ideas and techniques along the way

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Glad you like it Peter. Minor update; I decided to go ahead and replace the bars that fenders attach to. Red sprue is being added to simulate weld beads. I also broke off several track holders, these will be replaced with brass or aluminum bar stock.

DSCN3873_zpsf6d1b77d.jpg