HK B-25J

phantom

Where can you get that book at a reasonable price? Barry, I am doing a diorama of my kit also. I have the plane, decals, tent, palm trees and will be buying a quanset hut here shortly. I have several sets of maintenance figures to go along with the above.

Mike

hey sorry guys, Im out of the B25 sets right now, and it will be a couple of weeks before I'll be getting a resupply on them. (sorry, I wasnt tryin to make a plug to sell more) Im workin on the Glass Nose kit right now and knew they worked just perfect and thought id mention them.

Where can you get that book at a reasonable price? Barry, I am doing a diorama of my kit also. I have the plane, decals, tent, palm trees and will be buying a quanset hut here shortly. I have several sets of maintenance figures to go along with the above.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Well "reasonable" is the operative word. There is one on Ebay that is open for bid and bid currently is $1.00.

Otherwise I have found them all around the $100 mark.

I am not a bidder either just in case you might think we would be bidding against one another.

I have already purchased one and it was not quite a $100. :o

Barry

Hi Phantom,

That is the same one I purchased and the Ebay listing saysit is a 2008, 5th edition. I do not have it hand so I'm not sure of the publisher.

However I suspect it is the one Darren is saying is the Schiffer published edition.

:blowup:

Barry

One question about the engines...comparing them to images in the Squadron walkaround ,the kit ones appear to be upside down. look at the base where the engine propeller hub fits, theres a large "box" on bottom ,and a thinner "box" ontop ,but looking at the real thing the larger "box" is on top. sorry, I dont know what those are called.

PZ,

You are correct. AMS resin makes resin replacement prop and engine fronts. I picked these up but actually opted not to correct the front of the engines as it required a lot of sawing and regluing the shaft the rest of the engine parts assemble to. Plus, the wiring harness has very small connectors compared to the kit parts. I don't obsess over minor details :)

The prop blades are definite for replacing as they kit ones are huge.

-Ro

There are a few "issues" with the kit but some may elect not to deal with them. If you are a nit picker/ rivet counter or just REALLY love the B-25 you'll want to address the following issues:

NOTE Do not take this as a slam of the HK kit, I'd buy 5 more if I had unlimited funds and I am quite sure a great model can be made almost out of the box. I am simply pointing out obvious omissions for those who wish to go the extra mile and 3/4. :piliot:

I pointed out a great resource of photo's, data ( all the manuals) and video in a thread here over the weekend, for 10 bucks you'll have about anything you can think of for pics and references.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=43017

OK this is the list of things I am planning to correct, there may be more:

There is VERY minimal detail in the flight engineers/ top turret gunners position, no radio racks, no ammo feeds or charging handles for the "cheek" gun pods, no hydraulic accumulator, no wiring harness or box's, a whole "deck" of structure is not present, the rib detail is not repeated as it is in the cockpit so if you want to add it you're in for some work. There are no heater units or ducting for the forward or rear fuselage.There is no "tunnel" leading into the nose position so if you doing either version and want to see up into it from below you better be prepared to do a fair amount of scratch work or just live with the "void" The exterior perimeter of the top turret is not correct, see detail pics to see what I'm talking about. The leading edge of the wing doesn't not have the heater intake duct, the prominent "bolts" on the leading edges of the wings are missing, the landing light openings are to large. The life raft compartment that should be visible in the rear fuselage compartment is missing, all the folding seats are missing, there is no strike camera or opening for it in the lower fuselage, and most of the supporting structure for the main landing gear would have to be built unless you don't mind looking up into the wheel bay and seeing bare plastic and the mounting stud for the main gear legs. None of the canvas spent cartridge casing bags are present. Almost forgot, the sextant and gun sight as well as the ring and bead back up sight is missing too. I will be addressing all of these issues in an online build starting shortly here at LSP.

Paul

Edited by av8shunmodels

Barry,

The publisher is: International Historical Research Associates

It is part of a 3 volume series: Eagles over the Pacific

Mike

Mike,

Do you have it in hand: in your opinion what is the quality of photos?

Barry

There are a few "issues" with the kit but some may elect not to deal with them. If you are a nit picker/ rivet counter or just REALLY love the B-25 you'll want to address the following issues:

NOTE Do not take this as a slam of the HK kit, I'd buy 5 more if I had unlimited funds and I am quite sure a great model can be made almost out of the box. I am simply pointing out obvious omissions for those who wish to go the extra mile and 3/4. :piliot:

I pointed out a great resource of photo's, data ( all the manuals) and video in a thread here over the weekend, for 10 bucks you'll have about anything you can think of for pics and references.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=43017

OK this is the list of things I am planning to correct, there may be more:

There is VERY minimal detail in the flight engineers/ top turret gunners position, no radio racks, no ammo feeds or charging handles for the "cheek" gun pods, no hydraulic accumulator, no wiring harness or box's, a whole "deck" of structure is not present, the rib detail is not repeated as it is in the cockpit so if you want to add it you're in for some work. There are no heater units or ducting for the forward or rear fuselage.There is no "tunnel" leading into the nose position so if you doing either version and want to see up into it from below you better be prepared to do a fair amount of scratch work or just live with the "void" The exterior perimeter of the top turret is not correct, see detail pics to see what I'm talking about. The leading edge of the wing doesn't not have the heater intake duct, the prominent "bolts" on the leading edges of the wings are missing, the landing light openings are to large. The life raft compartment that should be visible in the rear fuselage compartment is missing, all the folding seats are missing, there is no strike camera or opening for it in the lower fuselage, and most of the supporting structure for the main landing gear would have to be built unless you don't mind looking up into the wheel bay and seeing bare plastic and the mounting stud for the main gear legs. None of the canvas spent cartridge casing bags are present. Almost forgot, the sextant and gun sight as well as the ring and bead back up sight is missing too. I will be addressing all of these issues in an online build starting shortly here at LSP.

Paul

I agree that the HKM B-25 is an excellent kit, but in need of some upgrades for total accuracy. The lack of ribs in the flight engineer's compartment isn't that big a problem in view of the fact that this area was usually covered with sound proofing insulation, which hid the structural components. However, it could still use a radio set and some other components. Profimodeller offers an upgrade set for the cockpit, and this includes a tunnel in PE. Incidentally, this tunnel is highly detailed, with many small, fiddly parts --like junction plates, and should prove quite a challenge to assemble. Both Profi and Eduard offer internal parts for the gear wells (Personally, I like Profi's). Also like to see a detail set with ribs, stringers and seats for the gunners' station. I suppose it would be possible to scratch build the ribs and stringers, but I've ruined a lot of good plastic card and endured a lot of frustration in futile scratch building attempts, and I'd much rather rely on the aftermarket for things like that.

Jerry Peterson