ROKAF F-51D, Col D. Hess

Barry

First let me say that I have no affiliation with Monokio or Bangiman Productions this posting is only to provide a scan of the decal set for informational purposes only.

I obtained my set from HLJ.

What I have post is ALL that comes with the set.

In my opinion they are appear very nicely done; application will tell the whole story.

That said here is their set WD32016 for ROKAF F-51D.

Subject is the aircraft of Colonel Dean Hess.

scan0004-2.jpg

scan0005-1.jpg

scan0006-1.jpg

Hmmm, looks different! I do notice the instructions call for a 74, 75, 76 that look like includes the pilots name, yet I don't see those three numbers on the decal sheet? Also, the cover sheet shows a white area that the Korean characters sit on, but the decal placement instructions don't?

Good catch Ray.

I did not notice the three decals that are called out but not on the sheet.

I did note the white area and this photo of Hess's aircraft does show the white area but does not show black outline of area which the instructions show in one view but not the others.

I do not see the "pilot's" name in the photo unless that is it on the canopy rail.

050427-F-1234P-055.jpg

This photo does not "appear" to show white area or possible pilot's name.

Also notice difference in type style on 18 and K between photos.

You can also see in this photo what appears to be a stripe on the fuselage aft of the national insignia but does not appear to be as wide as depected in the decal instructions.

IMO decal set more closely resembles the second photo and none of this explains why they show decals 74,75 and 76 and do not provide them!

scan0007-1.jpg

• 2 years later...

I just happened to come across this post when I Google'd "Dean Hess P-51". I have always been interested in the ROK '51's and Hess. Pretty fair movie too. As I am now building another Tamiya P-51 I MIGHT decide to do his instead of the 506th bird I had planned on doing. I ordered the decal from HLJ and will take a closer look at them and whatever photographic info I can dig up. Then I'll decide yay or nay. I kind of wanted to use the blunt tipped props plus rocket stubs for this build but most of the photos I find so far show his a/c with the cuffed prop. It could be that his a/c did have the blunt tipped prop at one time (see photo). However, I'm not REAL sure that's Hess's a/c.

Hess_zpsd3bbac05.jpg

Just as an aside; My father was one of the C-119 pilots who flew into Korea and brought the kids out. We were stationed at Ashya, Japan, and I remember him telling Mom that he had brought out a lot of kids that were in my sisters and my age group. He also said the crew chiefs were upset because all the passengers got air sick with the attendant oral discharges.

I have those decals. I am planning on doing that aircraft in the near future. Which kit would be better for the build, the Z-M  or the Tamiya P-51?

Mike

Six of one and half a dozen of the other Mike. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend and how much work you want to do.