Mig 29UB Re-issue

Rob Colvin

Yup - early '90s - a little more accurate than original single-seater - which itself was slightly tweaked in a later issue to include some of the improvements done with the UB.

Not aware of any changes made to the tooling in it's latest incarnation.

Iain

Yup - early '90s - a little more accurate than original single-seater - which itself was slightly tweaked in a later issue to include some of the improvements done with the UB.

Yes, they tweaked the original but I wouldn't say they made it more accurate but possibly 'more presentable'.

I'll start by saying that both kits have drastically undersized exhausts. That is the big problem.

MiG_fix_55.jpg

How to transition from accurate sized intakes to the undersized exhausts is where both kits made compromises, both inaccurate.

The original tooling had engine tunnels that were almost accurate when viewed from the side but included an exhaust adapter piece at the rear of the tunnel that stepped down from big to small, with big and unsightly steps. That rear piece with the small exhausts threw the whole look of the rear off.

What they did on the 'corrected' tooling was to taper the entire the engine tunnel from just behind the front intake part and include a rear exhaust adapter that was closer to the real thing. In doing so the entire side of the engine tunnels view became inaccurate.

The following picture is a bit misleading in that the top picture, labeled 'old tool' is only original between the intake and the rear tunnel piece. It has my corrected rear engine tunnel attached.

The lower picture has an underlay of the retooled Revell kit compared to my correction.

Neither of the pics show the complete original kit with the stepped adapter piece. You can see the 'corrected' adapter piece in the lower underlay. Picture that adapter stepping all the way from the outer profile of my correction to the small exhaust.

MiG_fix_4.jpg

When I started my correction I wasn't aware of the retooling and was using the old tool. That is why the above picture is labeled as it is.

I ended up including the forward portion of the engine tunnel as well and recently combined a corrected intake assembly with that froward tunnel part:

29_intake_1.jpg

It's a lot of resin...

HTH

Chris

Edited by Zactoman

I got the "new" kit today and the plastic is identical to the initial RoG UB release years ago. Even the instructions are the same. The only difference is the decals. They also still tell you to attach the SARH guided R-27s, even though they were not carried on the UB as it lacked the radar to guide them.

I bought this recent release, cant vouch for any changes that's not been mentioned, but it looks very nice indeed and well worth the money ... even if you are the kind of guy that considers kits as blank canvases.

Possibly the best looking ... most aggressive Russian jet ever? I dunno? sometimes two seaters look better than their native one seater variants (Jaguar/Harrier ETC) and the Mig 29 UB looks magnificent, we aint going to see anything better for decades in this scale IMHO, this is a good solid release.

I like what Revell do.