Fw190 A6/R11 1:24

Menelaos

Hi Guys,

this will be my second big Fw190A (the first was in the colors of Sepp Wurmheller machine)...I will convert it into a nightfighter R11 with the Neptun J-2 radar antenas. The "weisse 11" machine flown by Olt Fritz Krause of the I./NJG10 in 1944 (Krause made 28 night kills)

I just start building the BMW801... the old Airfix kit is ok, but there are many corners that need much more details... so one of them is the engine, basics are ok but a lot of details are missing...

Here is the first row of the 801... hope you like it

DSCN4051.jpg

DSCN4052.jpg

to be cont.

Edited by Menelaos

I remember building this Airfix kit as soon as it was first released, decades ago!! At the time it was among the most enjoyable builds I had done though if I remember correctly I had some problems with some of the fit. I look forward to seeing how you get on with this. My effort way back then was straight out of the box but I remember it begging for more detailing.

Barry, ýes there some 30 years gone til then...

I like the Airfix 190 not only because is the only one A in that scale, but it has something to do with...emotions!...

I have much more problems concerning the guns of the A6/R11... in photos is not clear if that type had or not the outboard 20mm MG151... (there are two diff. data in the Lit.) and which color were the undersides painted over...half black half RLM76? or only RLM76?...

any other experten on board??

TIA

Edited by Menelaos

Hi Menelaos,

Interesting conversion. I did a R11 in a different scheme in 1:32 in one of the group builds some time ago (not quite finished as yet). There is a photo of Krauses' plane showing that the underside of the starboard wing is black and that the aircraft had 20 mm guns in the wings. It also was equipped with a landing light in the other wing and exhaust shields.

Best regards

Hans (an expert-dilettant-hobbyist)

Edited by Hans

Hi Menelaos,

I have it somewhere in my book stash. Don't know in which book however at the moment. I'll put my grey cells to work and report back on it.

Hans

Menelaos, I found it. I actually found two prints of this photo, a small one and a two-page spread in another book. The code isn't visible, but the oilstains on the droptank are the same as on other photos so this is white 11. If you need the pics I can scan them for you.

Krause used this plane when he shot down a Mosquito in 1944. The underside of the cowling was yellow and it had a yellow & red stripe along the black portion of the forward fuselage:

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2010/05/fritz-krause-njgr10-mosquito-victory.html

http://luftwaffeinprofile.se/Krause.html

The engine looks really good! You guys are right about that BMW 801 begging to be super- detailed. If I recall correctly, it seems I remember someone posting that the engine mount is 5mm too short, so the prop rubs on the cowl. I'm not 100% sure about that but it's in my notes from builds others have done.

• 4 years later...

Hi folks

coming back to this topic I have a question to the Experten

searching in the web I found different sources concerning the right color of the wilde sau emblem on that Fw.

Some of them are in white with red or black outline others in yellow backround with or without outline..

The surface under the nose is either painted yellow or not (RLM76)....there's a thick line (in yellow?) over the black surface after the exhausts.

..which is now right??

Edited by Menelaos

hey Kevin,

the Fw is being  looking at me all those years.... well I'm not getting any further with that Mb seats for the 1:18  TF-104G and went back to the Fw...

But to find the truth about Krause's A6/R11 is difficult....

hey Kevin,

the Fw is being  looking at me all those years.... well I'm not getting any further with that Mb seats for the 1:18  TF-104G and went back to the Fw...

But to find the truth about Krause's A6/R11 is difficult....

Hard to say what's right or wrong without checking a ton of references.