Macchi Castoldi MC72

RacerDave

It is amazing the number of shades of reds. I painted an a/c recently in red and ended up using Duplicolor touch up paint. It is lacquer and mixes 3:1 with lacquer thinner and is available everywhere. At the very least you'll be able to establish the shade you want. Don't forget the white base coat. Like your build!

Thanks for the Duplicolor tip! I'll certainly look into that. I also thought to ask around at the custom paint shops to see what those guys use for airbrushing. There are a TON of "Italian" reds and since there is a shocking lack of color samples or color period photos, I get to paint it whatever shade of red I feel like! Now if only I can manage to make the model look like the picture in my head, that will be the real test of my skill.

can't wait to see it painted! I think if you're looking for a pre-mixed model paint, Model Master makes an Italian Red enamel which should be a perfect match for you, since it's darn near perfect for Fiat Red. Since Fiat had a hand in the building of this aircraft, and Ferrari wasn't around at the time to have their own red, the Italian Red should be right on for you. As long as you back the red with a white base coat, I think one standard sized bottle should get you through at least two of these guys, unless you want to use a TON of coats on each one.

I'm even contradicting my earlier posts, but I did some more testing and research, and the Italian Red, if applied over white, should give you pretty close to Fiat Red, if not dead on once it's glossed up.

Also, have you put any thought into the brass surfaces? I know Alclad does a Polished Brass lacquer, and there really doesn't seem to be anything better than Alclad for doing metal surfaces. I think Gunze also makes a Brass shade, as does Model Master under their Metalizer line

Hope this helps.

Matt :party0023:

Edited by scvrobeson

I just dug through my paints and found MM Italian Red in both Acryl and Enamel. I'll do some test shots and see if one of those will work.

I'm still experimenting with my Brass idea, I think its going to work but only time and more experiments will tell. If my initial idea fails I'll probably be buying up every Brass paint and testing those until I find one I like.

• 5 weeks later...

Page Five! Whoops... I havnt given up yet! I've been working on the wing root fillets in between the Pacer project (A-OOB group build). There is a TON of superglue filler in those roots. I am very glad there are reinforcement wires in the float struts! This model just keeps getting heavier and heavier!

Thought a couple pictures might be useful. I am using electrical tape to protect the details, the vinyl is a bit more rugged than regular masking tape. Slow and steady will win this race ...eventually. Thanks

101_2077.jpg

101_2079.jpg

• 5 months later...

This one has been on the back burner long enough! To be honest I've been scared that I wont be able to achieve the beautiful red finish that I have in my head. but enough is enough, I'm just going to finish this thing and hope for the best! I've got several more to build if this one should fail. So without further procrastination... BACK TO WORK!!

Tonight I compared the model to all my reference pictures and got my mind back into where I left off at and what still needs to be done. I layed out the missing panel lines and started scribing them in. I also layed out the new canopy that I'll be scratchbuilding and started to form a plan of attack. The last big project will be the aft fuselage radiator ...I'm open to suggestions! I also sprayed the white float bottoms, this is the first final color on the exterior!! Excited!!

100_2371_zps4cead94c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Back with another random update! I've been tinkering with how to accomplish the aft fuselage radiator and I finally have something that might do the trick! I took regular kitchen foil and burnished it over the wing with a toothpick leaving a rather good impression of the radiator in the foil, then taking the foil and wrapping it around the aft fuselage I found it actually looks quite good! The trick will be cutting and attaching the foil to the aft fuselage. I am hesitant to try superglue so I'll start with white glue on a test model. I cant just glue the foil on, I need to fill in all of the detail from the backside so that when I apply the brass color and detailing I wont damage the delicate foil.

100_2417_zps050425c6.jpg

100_2420_zps3fd7f62e.jpg

Edited by RacerDave

Good Idea!

I like the idea, and think your on the right track. However, having some experience with kitchen foil, Id say if you can get some of the Reynolds Wrap super heavy duty stuff, and experiment with CA on the backside to keep the impressions straight.

I fear that any kind of white glue, including MS foil glue is not going to give you the stiffness you are going to need to keep those little ridges in tact. I might be wrong, but I thinking that white glue may not stand up to the torture of applying the brass coloring and details.

I might even experiment with laying some super thin CA on the back of the foil before gluing it to the aft fuse section to keep the ridges stiff. Then you could experiment with MS foil glue or the like to attach the then CAd panel to the fuse.

Not sure how any of it will work, but just thinkin out loud..............

Thanks for the advice Brian! Did some experimenting today, I figured out a technique for applying the foil to the airframe without getting superglue everywhere. So far its looking very promising, I think I can make this work. I also started experimenting with the radiator color, I've decided to try using gold leaf. Try as I might, brass foil is not available. After applying the gold foil I've added several washes to tone down the bright obnoxious shininess. I think I'm onto something...

100_2424_zps00c3649b.jpg

100_2422_zps7ea8d53e.jpg

Edited by RacerDave