Me 262 Stormbird

martin.bavaria

Hi folks,

thanks for the kind words!

Done some experiments to control the sink marks, maybe I've got the solution. But later more...

First time for some updates:

The rockets for the take off... Done some modifications, drilled out the tubes, added an injection needle and redone the bracket. Still don't know if I should mount them or just leave them...

E001.jpg

The gun bay with some color on... Alclad and some washes with dark grey and red brown.

Done some wiring, electic cables and stuff (made from lead wire). As you can see I'm still dryfitting.

E002.jpg

E003.jpg

E004.jpg

E005.jpg

E006.jpg

E007.jpg

E008.jpg

E009.jpg

E010.jpg

After viewing my own pictures... I have to go at the decals again... Some setting solution is needed.

That's all for this update. Hope you like it!

Edited by martin.bavaria

Really, really nice work Martin. I took another look at the cockpit, and I am baffled by how you achieved such a realistic look to the parts. They have a dingy, dusty, worn look that I do not know how to replicate. I would be very interested in how you have gotten it to look so good.

Thanks guys for your interest. It's giving me kind of motivation to go on!

Very nice. If you rub some powdered graphite (pencil lead) on those guns it will give them a nice metallic sheen. Just a suggestion.

Sincerely,

Mark

You're right. The finishing touches are still missing. Actually I'm doing pigments and stuff like that almost at the end of the built, since then I know how all is getting together (the dust on the base has to fit the dust on the model... ;) )

Really, really nice work Martin. I took another look at the cockpit, and I am baffled by how you achieved such a realistic look to the parts. They have a dingy, dusty, worn look that I do not know how to replicate. I would be very interested in how you have gotten it to look so good.

Nice you like it...

It's kind of a time consuming technique... ;) The first thing about is, that I use brushes on the small parts like cockpit and stuff (the airgun is for the big areas...)and I'm using enamel and acryls parallel.

I start with the base color (higly diluted) and apply up to 3 layers till I get an opaque coating. Then I'm doing an extreme dry brushing (kind of pre-highlighting if you like...). The next thing is "filtering" with a darkened base color, maybe some black and at last an overall wash with redbrown and buff. Finishing touch is a dull coat. Hope that helps... The next time I'm going to do some WIP pictures of the paintwork!

Okay, but also time for an update...

Got the wheel bays finished: wiring, painting and the weathering mentioned above. And also the inner sides of the fuselage...

F0001.jpg

F0002.jpg

F0003.jpg

F0004.jpg

F0005.jpg

F0006.jpg

F0007.jpg

F0008.jpg

F0009.jpg

F0010.jpg

And as I too think, the cockpit is the coolest part... Some more pictures in the next post. (Somehow I'm alwayss getting to the picture limit per one post, but pictures say more than words!)

Thanks for looking in!

nice detail... follow historical setup ? :speak_cool:

Thanks,

not quite a special plane but the following pic I love very much... A Messerschmitt in the "forest factory" KUNO captured by GI's.

There's a stencil on the cover of the front wheel bay: "ACHTUNG! Nicht am Bugrad schleppen" (CAUTION! Don't pull at the nose wheel). For me it seems the angle of the front wheel is wrong on the picture... Maybe broken. Quite funny! :rolleyes:

Me262.jpg

This picture is quite an inspiration. Does not mean that I'm building exactly this plane.

Small update though... Done the undercarriage: added the wiring (lead wire and insulation of electric cables)

G01.jpg

G02.jpg

I also added some bolts as they were missing on the parts of the main gear. I made two different sizes. For this job i have a special "high tech" punch&die tool. You can do different sizes and get them thrown out by pressing a button. I don't know if this tool is available in the US but in good ol' Germany you get it in the staionery store... ;) Some may call it pencil.

G03.jpg

Hope you like it... ;)

Cheers,

Martin

...For me it seems the angle of the front wheel is wrong on the picture... Maybe broken. ...

Martin, to me the front wheel looks fine. Maybe you got irritated by the angle of view this picture is done. The nose wheel looks like already having been dragged onto the concrete (a piece of the Autobahn?) while the main wheels are still on the forest soil on a deeper level.

Nice details, mate!

Thomas

You're so funny

Hi Mark,

thanks and that's the point! Modelling is fun...

...The nose wheel looks like already having been dragged onto the concrete (a piece of the Autobahn?) while the main wheels are still on the forest soil on a deeper level.

Hi Thomas,

looking again at the pictures I think you could be right. But it would have been so much fun "Don't pull..." and a broken front wheel. Maybe I'm doing that scene! ;)

Had't this much time. Have to get some things done on the job. Maybe next weekend. Should look better!

So long have a good time!

Cheers

Martin

Hi guys,

as promised some update.

I tried a preshading on the undercarriage and sprayed RLM 02 (Gunze). I think it's ok, heavy weathering is still missing!

H001.jpg

Clued the fuselage together, fitting was okay, needs some sanding and also did some... Put some heavy weight in the nose (underside of the gun bay) and closed the area there. I hope it's enough to avoid tailsitting... :closedeyes:

H002.jpg

Still needs some filling, the panel lines (gaps) are a little bit wider than the rest on the kit.

The Wikingerschiff compared to Jeroen's picture shows poor detail. But what to do without any good reference?!?

Completed the gun bay... The cover in the kit is kind a wrong. The real cover that could be opened is smaller. So cut it into pieces and clued some styrene in, redid the rivets...

H003.jpg

H007.jpg

H004.jpg

Tried something at the access hatches, the original lines got lost during sanding... Looks okay! This is the access to the rear (fuselage) fuel tank...

H005.jpg

And here's the area in front of the cockpit... Two hatches are gone. But you can see the rivets I already did. Looks just fine to me. I'm thinking about redoing all rivets (remember my sinkmarks) and give the metal skin a "used / stressed" look by sanding the surface. Should be a boring job! :BANGHEAD2:

H006.jpg

That's all for now, thanks for looking in!

Cheers,

Martin