Me 262 Stormbird

martin.bavaria

Hi guys,

it's been a long time! I got kind of stuck with the Junkers, but what's best with lack of motivation? Start another build!

Okay, put the JU to the "hall of shame" and grab another kit! By mistake I ordered the Me 262 two times... Uhm, one A-1a ("Schwalbe", "Swallow") and one A-2a ("Sturmvogel", "Stormbird"). For the "Schwalbe" I got some aftermarket but I thought it would be nice to do a ooB with the "Sturmvogel" first: kind of a test build to see fitting issues and stuff. One last thing: I started the build half a year ago and posted some progress in a german board, but I thought it would be nice to show some pictures here... and I'm a slow builder! :closedeyes:

A short story about the build: the idea is to show an abandoned plane left somewhere near the "Autobahn" in summer 1945, not really a wreck but we all know the pictures of planes aligned along the motorway. Maybe I'm doing a small base with some GIs just having found the stormbird...

I talk the talk, but now walk the walk...

First the belts: I got the PE belts from Eduard and some spare belts from Radu. But look yourself: I just love the Radu-belts. So the Eduard go into the test build! ;)

A001.jpg

Radu left, Eduard right... I painted the Radu with acrylics.

And now some impressions from the working area of the pilot...

A002.jpg

A003.jpg

A004.jpg

A005.jpg

A006.jpg

Painting done, some filtering, some washes (still wet on the pictures...)

That's not the current state... I'll be posting more, step by step! ;)

Thanks for looking, I hope you like it!

A short story about the build: the idea is to show an abandoned plane left somewhere near the "Autobahn" in summer 1945, not really a wreck but we all know the pictures of planes aligned along the motorway. Maybe I'm doing a small base with some GIs just having found the stormbird...

Yes, I like it.

Regarding your idea, you may look for the photos of W.Nr.111685 '9K+FH'. There are 2 popularly published pics of it with GIs and a Jeep on the Autobahn near München (one even in colour) and many more when it was on the scrapyard in Brunnthal (next to 'White 34').

Thanks for the kind feedback! Cool, you like it...

It's not meant to be a diorama of the real life scene, just sort of inspiration. I think it would be cool to build the abandoned plane (and to try out some weathering techniques... :closedeyes: )

Regarding your idea, you may look for the photos of W.Nr.111685 '9K+FH'. There are 2 popularly published pics of it with GIs and a Jeep on the Autobahn near München (one even in colour) and many more when it was on the scrapyard in Brunnthal (next to 'White 34').

I think you meant the following

04Ger-Me-262-PICT1760.jpg

But also another is interesting: maybe it's enough space on the base for the halftrack!?!

Me262-A1A-52.jpg

Both pictures on http://www.warbirdphotographs.com

Got some update...

Still not the current state of the build! But I thought it would be nice sharing the pictures.

The additions on the cockpit: wiring (soldering wire), the handle for the nose wheel brake (left of the instrument panel), the belts at the pedals...

About the instrument panel: it's the kit's part: clear plastic with holes for the instruments (film part). I should have sanded the panel thin. Now it#s too thick so you can hardly see the instruments... Don't mind... Just put some drops of gloss coat into the holes (on the pics the gloss coat hasn't set yet, should be clear...)

And here the pics:

B001.jpg

B002.jpg

B003.jpg

B004.jpg

B005.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Thank you very much!

Looking great but I think my favorite part is the cracked leather on the seat back. I luv it!

This is kind of a mistake... :closedeyes: When building armor I was to impatient and did some filtering / washing on not hardened acrylics. The result with turpentine and oils were shrinkles and cracks in the color. What a desaster. But no bad without a good! I was testing and testing and now I can (sort of) control the effect. Paint with acrylics, wait till the surface is dry and put / brush / spray on turpentine (also works with enamel dull coat). Hope that helps!

And I found some time for a little update... it's dry-fitting time!

Let's see what we've got!

Cockpit...

C008.jpg

Radio...

D003.jpg

Nothing (almost) can be seen, so what the heck about it...

D006.jpg

Sidewalls of the fuselage an what can be seen through the wheel bays...

D004.jpg

D005.jpg

D007.jpg

I cut away these ugly straps and knobs where Trumpeter wants you to fix the tube...

Some more...

D008.jpg

Dryfitted gunbay...

D010.jpg

D011.jpg

D012.jpg

With or thithout cover!?! I drilled out the barrels of the machine cannons and added some injection needle to the cover... Think it looks better!

Some more!

Dryfitting the wings...

D013.jpg

D014.jpg

Last but not least, here comes the thing that makes me :BANGHEAD2: ! I've got sink-marks all over the surface of the wings! What to do?!?

D001.jpg

D002.jpg

My decision is to sand an rescribe and do the rivets... :BANGHEAD2: Should be kind of boring! :deadhorse:

Thanks for looking!

Almost looks like stressed metal skin....

That's exactly what I thought. And after looking at some pictures of the real thing this should be the solution. An abandoned plane at the motorway waiting weeks or months till the GIs arrive. The aluminium skin must have suffered... Let's see how it could turn out in the model!

Thank you very much!

This is kind of a mistake... :closedeyes: When building armor I was to impatient and did some filtering / washing on not hardened acrylics. The result with turpentine and oils were shrinkles and cracks in the color. What a desaster. But no bad without a good! I was testing and testing and now I can (sort of) control the effect. Paint with acrylics, wait till the surface is dry and put / brush / spray on turpentine (also works with enamel dull coat). Hope that helps!

Great mistake!