Junkers Ju 188E-1

JamesHatch

Beautiful work Jim!

What did you use for the stringers in the tail wheel area?

Hi Dave,

I used a German product. THIS is the link. The T section was a little deep, so I sanded it down to a more realistic level.

We modellers are spoiled :rolleyes:

You get my PM Dave?

Whoops,

Quick change of variant, as I'm sure Kagemusha will understand. To try and move on with this build and not get hampered with the belly camera ports for which I don't have enough info to properly place and size.....this is now going to be built as a Ju 188E-1 instead :rolleyes:

I now have the spine modified for the Funkgerät (see Thomas....an Umlaut! :lol:) and rescribed and filled the spine where needed. This is now installed onto the fuselage and tomorrow I'll grind the forward fuselage down ready to accept the new resin nose.

I'm out on the pop tomorrow evening, so it may get to Thursday before I can get this epic progress photographed.

I have approx 10 days before I have to start the ZM Skyraider, so it's Alle Mann an der Pumpe! If I can get the nose installed, and the fin/rudder, then I'll be pleased. I want to try and modify the stabilisers and elevators yet, but I'm not rushing this for the sake of it.

Guest Peterpools

Jim

Talk about an intense start. Excellent work on the tailwheel. It's a shame the Ju188F is going on hold as soon as the Skyraider arrives and enters the scene. But I can't blame you one bit.

:speak_cool:

Peter

Hi James,

Well done so far. The quickest Ju 188 to do of the 6 options is the French one as you have no weapons, no bombracks and no B-2 HD 131 turrett - O and no cammo masking. Talking of all things French I cannot find a contact email for the French modelling mag Replic (not sure if thats the right spelling?) I cannot afford to send them a Ju 188 kit but if I write very nicey they may just mention it. Last time the did a great job of all my stuff and I got no orders from France but loads from Canada!

Anyway James keep up the good work, had 11 orders in total, I am sure in part thanks to you.

Pastor John

John,

The e-mail address of Replic is dtu.sarl@wanadoo.fr.

A well-visited site in the German speaking world (Germany, Austria, Switserland) that does allow modeling firms to announce and show their products on the site is IPMS Germany http://www.ipmsdeutschland.de/news.html. You might give them a try as well.

Best regards,

Hans

Managed to remove the fuselage plastic to the point in line with the front of the square port on the fuselage. Unfortunately, for me, this point seems about 1mm+ too far back, and this leaves a gap equivalent to this between the fuse and nose. Position was checked with temporarily fitting the Mistel wings. Looks like I need some 1mm plasticard, and a 0.1 to 0.2mm shim to fill this gap. :(

DSC03465.jpg

The wing root areas on the nose seem to have some deformation too and will need to be ground level to the fuse wing root, and filled where the gaps exist.

Time to get ready for a night on the razz..... :whistle:

QUICK EDIT: Confirmed what I thought about a small deformation in the root area of the nose, and the 1mm shim needed to attach nose. This will be simple to fix, and won't hold me up too much.

Edited by James H

Hi James,

Sorry, I thought I had established a page ago to ignore what I said about cutting in line with box and stick with what I said about the line being taken from the rear edge of the spar appeture. Hope you can fix everything ok

John

Edited by Pastor John

James,

As I mentioned in an email to Andy last night, I have copies of the original drawings for the camera apertures and sliding doors as fitted to the 188. However, as these are quite large I can't scan them but I could pull them out and scale the full sizes down to 1/32 if you decide to revert back to making your kit a recce version.

Besides, I'll probably be doing these for Andy when he begins work on his 188.

Cheers

Dave

hi Jim

great stuff here popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif - you really should just model and get on with it, none of this sabbatical nonsense!

so how was last night??

(where is the hungover smiley when you need him?? :) )

nice looking progress - you make it look very easy

PS have you had a reply from Dave Wadman? I PM'd him a while back and have not had a reply hmmm.gif

cheers

Nick

Heave ho!

Ok, I have some progress. I shimmed the plastic fuselage by 1mm to bring the nose in line with where it should be, and fitted the new Ju 188 nose. I needed the littlest amount of Magic Sculp to fair the nose and fuselage in together. I love Magic Sculp....loads of time to play with it before it sets, and easy to sand. Once set and sanded down, a little rescribing was done. I also rescribed the entire resin nose to make it a little more in tune with the panel lines on the Revell kit.

I had a little 'drama' with fitting the nose. I got everything just right, then a dripped a little ZAP CA Low-viscosity into the hollow within the joint. I then rotated it to cover evenly, and it ran out of the wing root....right down the fuselage and glued my fingers to it!! What a BLOODY MESS! In panic, I tipped it the other way, and loads of CA ran down the outside of the resin nose! :BANGHEAD2:

All I can say is THANK YOU to Loctite for their CA Remover Gel. Every little last mark vanished as nothing had happened. :rolleyes:

Here is an overview:

DSC03466.jpg

The fit of the nose:

DSC03468.jpg

DSC03469.jpg

The tail was almost a perfect fit. It just needed a little resin removed from the underside to it would sit flat:

DSC03470.jpg

The Funkgerat now installed:

DSC03471.jpg

A rough overview of the size. Remember that the box you see is over one foot in width!

DSC03472.jpg

I'm loving this so far. Now I need to get the tips of the stabilisers and elevators extended to Ju 188 standard.

Watch this space!