Hobby Boss Il-2 single seater

Hans

Tim, I used colour photos of the interior of the Il-2 in Prague to determine most of the colours. Many fittings including the steering column of that aircraft are made of brass. That is what I hope these parts look like on the model. The rudder pedals are interior grey and I painted the foot straps in a leather colour. If you need pics I can make scans of the photos.

Viktor, -more work ahead!

Andy, thanks but the wings seem far from finished..

Hans

Viktor, I look forward to seeing what schemes you have for the straight-winged two-seater (and the arrow). I'd actually like to do an early two-seater in just the normal black/green scheme as the two-seaters I've built are "White 24", a winter-camouflaged version, and a three-colour arrow. I wouldn't mind doing the 37mm armed "Red 28", however, even if it is in winter camouflage.

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

the major part will come from the free-of-charge pdf file, but I would like to add some more, maybe also the Stepanyan´s personal machine (but really maybe).

Hans,

looking forward to see your further work on it!

Viktor

Edited by viktor

Tim, I used colour photos of the interior of the Il-2 in Prague to determine most of the colours. Many fittings including the steering column of that aircraft are made of brass. That is what I hope these parts look like on the model. The rudder pedals are interior grey and I painted the foot straps in a leather colour. If you need pics I can make scans of the photos.

Viktor, -more work ahead!

Andy, thanks but the wings seem far from finished..

Hans

Hans---

Thanks for the info. Scans would be nice, but don't go to any trouble--I can see what you've done on the site alread and may do the same.

Thanks again,

Tim W.

The nose job is as good as finished. It will look better under a coat of primer, undoubtedly. The grille has been glued in its place, the new hatch on the nose has been scribed and has two lumps and a tiny hatch added to it and the ring just aft of the spinner is glued on the nose, following the drawings by Victor and photos of the Il-2 in Prague. I think its purpose was to collect oil spills.

http://i1119.photobucket.com/albums/k638/Godbert/DSCN0939.jpg[/img]"]DSCN0939.jpg

Edited by Hans

Looking very nice, Hans! I am looking forward to the finished model. I can tell it's going to be a beauty (and an accurate one). You are correct about the flange at the front - it was placed there to keep oil from the engine from spraying back and smearing the windscreen. I got around having to do that by not having any of the cowling present, except for the undersides; I did mine with an exposed engine. Now that engine was some work. There's nothing wrong with the HB engine - what's there is accurate. It's what's missing that is the problem - the wiring, the oil tanks, the tubing, the coolant header tank, etc.

Regards,

Jason

Nice progress Hans. It's fascinating to watch you Il-2 professors pore over the smallest details. I'm sure the result will be superb!

Kev

Kev, it's easy to be an "Il-2 professor" like Viktor and myself - all you have to do is spend years researching the Shturmovik. I don't know about Viktor, but I've already spent three years of my life reading about (and modelling) this interesting and important aeroplane (I strongly suspect Viktor's spent more). And I don't know how long Hans has been at it, but he's evidently a very quick learner.

Regards,

Jason

Thank you Jason, the paintjob will make or break the model in the end however. I plan to spray the AKAN over Alclad Duralminium for the metals parts -left unprimed on the original and aluminium for the wooden parts -primed with aluminium paint on the original.

Thanks Kev, but I just work on the assembly line ;)

Hans

Thank you Jason, the paintjob will make or break the model in the end however. I plan to spray the AKAN over Alclad Duralminium for the metals parts -left unprimed on the original and aluminium for the wooden parts -primed with aluminium paint on the original.

Thanks Kev, but I just work on the assembly line ;)

Hans

Hans,

please note following: to camouflage the Il-2s, AMT paints were used - green AMT-4, black AMT-6 and light blue AMT-7. Despite they were originally intended for the wooden and canvas surfaces, they could and were used also for the metal surfaces of the mixed-construction aircrafts (like Il-2). In this case (metal) a special primer was used. Unfortunatelly, I cannot provide you any information about its colour, however, the camouflage paints (AMT) were not applied directly on the metal surfaces.

Best rgds,

Viktor

Hans,

please note following: to camouflage the Il-2s, AMT paints were used - green AMT-4, black AMT-6 and light blue AMT-7. Despite they were originally intended for the wooden and canvas surfaces, they could and were used also for the metal surfaces of the mixed-construction aircrafts (like Il-2). In this case (metal) a special primer was used. Unfortunatelly, I cannot provide you any information about its colour, however, the camouflage paints (AMT) were not applied directly on the metal surfaces.

Best rgds,

Viktor

Viktor and Hans, I believe that the wooden parts were covered by a fabric that had been impregnated with a yellow putty. Viktor, according to studies of some IL-2 wrecks, sometimes the aluminium wings were directly overpainted with the AMT colours. How common this was is hard to tell. I know the normal procedure was to paint the AMT paints over the primer coat, but evidently this wasn't always followed, perhaps again due to the need to produce as many Shturmoviks as possible. As you've no doubt gathered Hans, although the question of the exterior paints and colours has been pretty much settled, their are still questions about the interior and primer colours and their usage. I hope I haven't "muddied the waters" too much.

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

discussing the VVS paints is sometimes like dancing on the knife edge :whistle:

Hans,

just a note about the wing reinforcing belts: if you look at the attached photograph, you can see that the belts do not reach to the aileron edge (as some scale drawings show).

2up5no1.jpg

Best rgds,

Viktor

Jason,

discussing the VVS paints is sometimes like dancing on the knife edge :whistle:

Hans,

just a note about the wing reinforcing belts: if you look at the attached photograph, you can see that the belts do not reach to the aileron edge (as some scale drawings show).

2up5no1.jpg

Best rgds,

Viktor

You've got that right about the colours, Viktor! That's a good point about the reinforcing strips not extending to the aileron edge. Viktor, something just struck me about that picture - there are only two rocket rails on the port wing. Do you think this is an early two-seater? Even if they didn't carry their full complement of eight rockets, I presumed the single-seater Shturmovik still carried the eight rocket rails. If this is a two-seater, then the reinforcing strips were also sometimes used on the two-seaters, perhaps only the early examples. Now you can see what an interesting (and frustrating) subject the IL-2 is, Hans!

Regards,

Jason

You've got that right about the colours, Viktor! That's a good point about the reinforcing strips not extending to the aileron edge. Viktor, something just struck me about that picture - there are only two rocket rails on the port wing. Do you think this is an early two-seater? Even if they didn't carry their full complement of eight rockets, I presumed the single-seater Shturmovik still carried the eight rocket rails. If this is a two-seater, then the reinforcing strips were also sometimes used on the two-seaters, perhaps only the early examples. Now you can see what an interesting (and frustrating) subject the IL-2 is, Hans!

Regards,

Jason

Jason,

it definetely is a two-seat Il-2. Note the red stars with white border and thin red outline applied since September 1943. Two rocket rails under each wing indicate a two-seater as well.

About the reinforcing belts: more information about their installation on both single- and two-seat (straight/arrow wings) Il-2s will be included in the book on which I am currently working.

Best rgds,

Viktor

Btw, today is the Operation Barbarossa anniversary. Il-2 entered the combat duty...

Edited by viktor

Jason,

it definetely is a two-seat Il-2. Note the red stars with white border and thin red outline applied since September 1943. Two rocket rails under each wing indicate a two-seater as well.

About the reinforcing belts: more information about their installation on both single- and two-seat (straight/arrow wings) Il-2s will be included in the book on which I am currently working.

Best rgds,

Viktor

Btw, today is the Operation Barbarossa anniversary. Il-2 entered the combat duty...

Thank you for the information, Viktor, and I look forward to your second book! It is indeed Barbarossa Day and the terrible sacrifice and suffering the Soviet people endured during the Great Patriotic War should be remembered, as well as their vital contribution to the final defeat of the Nazis.

Regards,

Jason