Looking for coolest FW 190D-9 paint schemes!!!

oyoy5

Just finished my Hasegawa D-9 with one problem, I need a cool and not so common paint scheme for it. Does anyone have any color drawings of FW 190D-9 that are not all thatt common. Need something different.

I am and 90% sure this is the scheme I will go with, are the top of the wings of this aircraft 81 and 82 or 82 and 75.

I don''t know which "White 12" you're asking about. According to Eagle Cals' instruction sheets, the entire uppersurfaces of this "White 12" of II./JG 301:

61-cover-color.gif

were 81/83, whereas those of this "White 12" of II./ JG 2:

EC108-Instr-cover.gif

were RLM 74/75.

Charles Metz

With respect to that aircraft, some ten or so years ago I studied the camouflage of the 500000-series Fw 190 Ds and published a few articles about selected aircraft. These kites carry very interesting schemes worthy of consideration as modelling subjects.

Like other German fighter aircraft, late-production Fw 190 Ds manifest the reality of dispersed production of major aircraft components. The majority of these items were painted to varying degrees prior to delivery prior for final construction at specific assembly sites. There, they would be given a minimum overspray of camouflage paints to provide both a modest level of protection (where and if required) and a softening of the contrasts between the previously painted components. Mimetall (Erfurt) produced aircraft from the mid- to late-production portion of the 500000 Werknummer series well display these features, especially those in the 500550 – 500700 range. Aircraft from the late production 211900 (~50 a/c) and 212100 ~70 a/c) Werknummer series also reveal similar attributes.

"White 12's" camouflage and markings were in all probability the same as other late-production 500000-Werknummerseries Doras. The well known colour photograph of the 8./II./JG 6 Dora "Blue 12", WNr.500570 is an outstanding benchmark from which reasonable interpretations can be made for the camouflage of related aircraft.

Photographs of this aircraft and others (noted below) suggest that the fuselage was painted in the green-blue variation of 76, fuselage spine and engine cowling in 81 Braunviolett and with an 81 Hellgrün overspray on the forward cowling and rear fuselage insert. The rudder appears to have been painted a light coat of standard 76 Lichtblau over a base coat of 75 Mittlegrau. Wing uppersurface camouflage was a modified splinter pattern of 81 and the green-blue variation of 76. For the wing undersides, the forward half was painted in RLM 81 and the rear half left in natural metal. Control surfaces were probably painted standard RLM 76. This camouflage scheme is consistently seen in photographs of other later production 500000-series Doras (with minor variations), selected examples including:

• WNr.500613 - 10./III./JG 26 - "Black 10" - Found at Celle, repaired.
  • WNr.500636 - 1./I./JG 6 - "White 16" - Found abandoned at Bayreuth-Bindlach.
  • WNr.500638 - 5./II./JG301 - "White 12" - Found at Langensalza.
  • WNr.500647 - 7./II./JG 26 - "Brown 4" - Found abandoned at Hustedt. Wooden Ta 152 tail.
  • WNr.500666 - 3./I./JG 301 - "Yellow 15" - Found at Straubing.

If one wishes to dive into the details on Dora camouflage and markings, there are two series that must be consulted. A comprehensive study focusing exclusively on the Dora's camouflage and markings was done by Deboeck, Larger and Poruba and published by JaPo in their two-volume series "Focke-Wulf Fw 190D Camouflage and Markings" (Volume 1: 2005 and Volume 2: 2007). A third volume is in preparation. Both these books and the lavish two-volume set by Jerry Crandall are must-have's for anyone seriously modelling the Dora. Neither series is the complete story and each has its particular strengths and focus and with well-presented interpretations on camouflage and markings of specific and aircraft and series. There are some variations between the two on specific aircraft and the reader is provided with an incredible amount of supporting data to consult in making their interpretation. Both series are highly complimentary to each other and together are the last words on this fascinating aircraft.

Best of luck with the project, and I hope you share with us images of the completed model.

Cheers,

David

Try FE-121 display look for something different. Neutral Grey undersurfaces, Dark Gull Gray upper surfaces with Neutral Grey curls on sides and top of fuselage (but not at engine/gun compartment). White FE-121 number at tail, German crosses (6 positions) and Swastikas solid black with white borders.

Regards!

- dutik

Hi everyone, I was thinking of starting a new topic but my question kinds fits in here. Anyway, I've just been given a Revell Fw-190 D-9, I believe it's the Hasegawa kit in a Revell box but it has optional rear fuselage/fin/rudder parts which are from a Ta-152.

Unfortunately, there are no decals in the kit so my question is:- Would anyone out there know which Eagle Cals sheet I'd need for a Ta-152-tailed Fw-190?

I've got decals for the standard Fw-190 but can't find anything in my very limited refs with regards to the Ta-152 tailed birds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, David.

Hi David,

I am out and about at the moment so have limited access, but check the eaglecals site: there aren't tons of Dora sheets so you should find one or 2 schemes in there.

I know I have a 152 tail Dora planned and have an eaglecal sheet earmarked (I think!) But can't off hand remember which one.

Alternatively, if you do find a scheme or someone recommends one, give AdAstra masks a whirl - very cheap and excellent service.

Cheers,

Nick

Hi David,

if you wish,I can sent you one decal sheet i have left from D9 ? There are 2 big tail option I would go for "brown 4" Wn: 500647, since is relatively well documented plane. Check out this build. http://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=40756&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=75

kit

Hi everyone, I was thinking of starting a new topic but my question kinds fits in here. Anyway, I've just been given a Revell Fw-190 D-9, I believe it's the Hasegawa kit in a Revell box but it has optional rear fuselage/fin/rudder parts which are from a Ta-152.

Unfortunately, there are no decals in the kit so my question is:- Would anyone out there know which Eagle Cals sheet I'd need for a Ta-152-tailed Fw-190?

I've got decals for the standard Fw-190 but can't find anything in my very limited refs with regards to the Ta-152 tailed birds. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, David.

check the eaglecals site: there aren't tons of Dora sheets so you should find one or 2 schemes in there.

In fact Eagle Editions does have tons of D-9 decals, so the sheets in question are a bit tricky to find on their website. The markings that Nick is referring to are "Black 6" on EagleCals #58:

ec58.jpg

and "Brown 4" on EagleCals #126:

EC126-Instr-cover.gif

Charles Metz

cheers Charles

Brown 4 is the one that is a future project for me, as the plane was based in Czech i believe

re it being tricky to find on EagleCals site, well, if you can find LSP on the net, i am sure you can find your way round EC, but anyway...

they also make a nice cigar shaped drop tank as used on Brown 4 which looks quite cool i think

ep58etc.gif

http://www.eagle-editions.com/EP58.htm

happy hunting!

Nick