High flying tribute to our Russ...

Derek B

Hi Guys,

I am just pondering over a possible future scratch build project - just for my own benefit and (in)sanity. But rather than tell you what it is, I thought that it would be fun to have a little guessing game. So, here are the clues:

"My stature is imposing, and the rarified firmament is my domain. my span is the number of the beast. I like to hunt solo with my quad of fiery talons. I have two magical steeds to speed my path. My name is known of old, for it has an atmospheric ring to it. What am I?"

Derek <_<

Randy is indeed correct (well done)...Looks like he just pipped you to the post there Ray.

As the Westland Whirlwind seems to be a very popular choice for scratch building at present, I thought that I might have a go at a Westland fighter with a little difference. The span (in 1/32) is 666mm, and the length is roughly 395mm (about the same as a Beaufighter in OAL, but around 100mm greater in span). I have measured the prop diameter for the Welkin, and it is 119mm in 1/32. If anyone has the Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.VI, and would like to measure that four bladed prop for me, I would be grateful, as I may need to get my hands on a couple!

Derek

Thanks!

Ray's guess gave me a clue that it may be an RAF fighter, so I did some digging into high altitude fighters and came up with the Welkin. With the exception of the wingspan, all of the clues fit exactly... I didn't even think of scaling the wingspan - DOH!

Thanks Randy - Ray was pretty close from the start. I'm glad you found the clues to be accurate, it's not like me to use poetic licence that often! <_<

I like the Westland Whirlwind a great deal, and if no one has produced a 1/32 kit of this aircraft within the next couple of years or so, then I intend to master it as a complete resin kit myself.

Cheers

Derek

Thanks!

Ray's guess gave me a clue that it may be an RAF fighter, so I did some digging into high altitude fighters and came up with the Welkin. With the exception of the wingspan, all of the clues fit exactly... I didn't even think of scaling the wingspan - DOH!

Randy is indeed correct (well done)...Looks like he just pipped you to the post there Ray.

As the Westland Whirlwind seems to be a very popular choice for scratch building at present, I thought that I might have a go at a Westland fighter with a little difference. The span (in 1/32) is 666mm, and the length is roughly 395mm (about the same as a Beaufighter in OAL, but around 100mm greater in span). I have measured the prop diameter for the Welkin, and it is 119mm in 1/32. If anyone has the Hasegawa Spitfire Mk.VII, and would like to measure that four bladed prop for me, I would be grateful, as I may need to get my hands on a couple!

Derek

D'oh!!! I found the Welkin right after the Whirlwind, but I was going by the '666' as actual span, not span in scale! That is why I thought the Welkin would have too great a span!

Anyway, will look forward to seeing this one!

No problem Ray, I didn't want to make the clues too easy <_<

It should be an interesting exercise. I need to find as many useful 1/32 parts as possible that I can utilise or modify for this project (wheels, props, etc). The only reference I have at present is the +4 publication on the Welkin (of which I shall have to enlarge the drawings), and a 1/72 Hallemvac vacform model kit - so I clearly need additional reference material before I can begin.

Derek

D'oh!!! I found the Welkin right after the Whirlwind, but I was going by the '666' as actual span, not span in scale! That is why I thought the Welkin would have too great a span!

Anyway, will look forward to seeing this one!

Thanks Kevin - The Welkin is a pretty elegent aircraft to my eyes.

Derek <_<

A Welkin, eh? Awesome! That'll be some beast in 1/32 scale. I think there might be a kit or two floating around in the smaller scales, but this'll probably be a first!

Kev