What's the best F4 kit?

Max N

Once again many thanks for all the replies and offers of help. What a great place this is :-)

I am leaning towards the Tamiya E kit with after-market extended slats.

If I correct the slats, how am I looking?

What else would be needed to make a Gulf War E out of the Tamiya 'early production' E kit?

I'll go with FOD covers to avoid the intake issue.

Once again many thanks for all the replies and offers of help. What a great place this is :-)

I am leaning towards the Tamiya E kit with after-market extended slats.

If I correct the slats, how am I looking?

What else would be needed to make a Gulf War E out of the Tamiya 'early production' E kit?

I'll go with FOD covers to avoid the intake issue.

Max,

Although Dan worked on the E models therewere no F-4Es involved in the Gulf War to my knowledge only F-4Gs and RF-4Cs.

He might help you by telling where he worked them; then I'm sure we could help narrow down what you'll need.

You're right in wanting to do a slated version adding them to your build will give you the last version of the E model used.

It is also very likely that the birds he worked has TISEO (Target Identification System Electro Optical); big telescope mounted on the left inboard wing section. It is also quite possible they had the ARN-101 upgrade which externally was a large flat antenna on the backbone for the LORAN system and a few other antenna additions or location changes.

Barry

... and you should not forget all the cockpit changes as the Tamiya kit has a D-like pit...

A friend of mine who recently built an Israeli Kurnass from the Tamiya kit used a Blackbox pit with some Cutting Edge IP... Not the easiest combination nowadays... Note that CAM also released slat wing parts.

If you go for the Tamiya route, you need the OOP Cutting edge slat wing set (minimum) to get the wings and pit modifications (and the Arnie and TISEO parts).

Another option is a kitbashing of the Revell and Tamiya kits. At least the Revell would give you the instrument panels, the correctly sized exhausts, the high-G external tank and the slat wing parts...

FYI, four F-4Es were deployed during DS. Indeed, 3rd TFW birds were based in February 91 in Incirlik (Turkey). 71-1086, 72-1407, 73-1198/9 2/22/91 (ARN-101/TISEO birds) flew AAA suppressions missions for Vipers against Al Mosul, Iraq on 2/22/91. Similar combat missions occured on 2/26 and 2/27. Ordnance configurations were the same for all combat missions, all aircraft had a single CBU-87/D on each of the inboard pylons, suspended from 'special weapon' adapter; AIM-9 missile rails were in place but no Sidewinder were carried; AIM-7F's in the two rear Sparrow wells; deep ALQ-131(V)-14 in left front Sparrow well (right front well was unused); two 370 gallon wing tanks; and F-15 style 600 gallon centerline tank.

Cheers.

... and you should not forget all the cockpit changes as the Tamiya kit has a D-like pit...

A friend of mine who recently built an Israeli Kurnass from the Tamiya kit used a Blackbox pit with some Cutting Edge IP... Not the easiest combination nowadays... Note that CAM also released slat wing parts.

If you go for the Tamiya route, you need the OOP Cutting edge slat wing set (minimum) to get the wings and pit modifications (and the Arnie and TISEO parts).

Another option is a kitbashing of the Revell and Tamiya kits. At least the Revell would give you the instrument panels, the correctly sized exhausts, the high-G external tank and the slat wing parts...

FYI, four F-4Es were deployed during DS. Indeed, 3rd TFW birds were based in February 91 in Incirlik (Turkey). 71-1086, 72-1407, 73-1198/9 2/22/91 (ARN-101/TISEO birds) flew AAA suppressions missions for Vipers against Al Mosul, Iraq on 2/22/91. Similar combat missions occured on 2/26 and 2/27. Ordnance configurations were the same for all combat missions, all aircraft had a single CBU-87/D on each of the inboard pylons, suspended from 'special weapon' adapter; AIM-9 missile rails were in place but no Sidewinder were carried; AIM-7F's in the two rear Sparrow wells; deep ALQ-131(V)-14 in left front Sparrow well (right front well was unused); two 370 gallon wing tanks; and F-15 style 600 gallon centerline tank.

Cheers.

Well, again I thought I know something about DS aircraft. I could have sworn that no F-4Es were deplyed. One is never too old to learn. Thanks for the information, Thierry

Best to all

Jozef

Well, again I thought I know something about DS aircraft. I could have sworn that no F-4Es were deplyed. One is never too old to learn. Thanks for the information, Thierry

Best to all

Jozef

That goes for me too Thierry.

Barry

Can someone explain (or point me to a reference) about the various wing options?

What's the difference between a hard wing, leading edge flaps, leading edge slats. Inboard slats and outboard slats? Would slats normally be extended on the ground.

I see Paragon Design have a resin set of inboard extended slats, intended for the revell but will work OK for the Tamiya. Presumably I would still need to do something for the outboard slats?

I know I'm being a bit slow on the uptake, but I just need to get the different versions straight in my head so I can decide on a feasible course of action. Kitbashing using mainly the tamiya kit and taking relevent bits from the Revell does seem like a possible way forward?

i have the old detail&scale volumes about the various versions of the F-4, as well as the datafax-minigraph series, they are all pretty useful, the "in actions" are good too

but if you want to purchase just one book, get jake melampys phantom book for the USAF versions or the DACO book for the USN planes

but if you want to purchase just one book, get jake melampys phantom book for the USAF versions or the DACO book for the USN planes

Never truer words have been spoken!

Barry