How to create model tarps?

Shawn M

Looking for a good how to for modeling canvas tarps and covers. Going to be doing a corsair and I need to make an "engine" cover as seen on carrier flight decks.

Seen it done with toilet paper soaked in water diluted PVA glue. Not done it myself so don't know dilution ratios etc. but i guess it must be quite well diluted. Cheap enough products to experiment with!

Tim

another easy way to make a rigid tarp is with 2 part epoxy putty.. roll it out using some talcum powder to keep it from sticking to your rolling pin till you get it nice and thin.. then wait till it stiffens a bit. Then you can drape it and shape it like you want it until it dries.. then just prime and paint. You can also make some cuts in it and roll them down to replicate torn areas and stuff this way..

Seen it done with toilet paper soaked in water diluted PVA glue. Not done it myself so don't know dilution ratios etc. but i guess it must be quite well diluted. Cheap enough products to experiment with!

Tim

Actually Kleenex (Tissue), don't used toilet paper! it dissolves in water. Cut to the size you want then drap over the item you want to tarp and paint with white Glue thinned with water. Push it around a little for some wrinkles etc and wa la, a tarp. Then paint with your choice of paint.

Edit: that's glue not clue, my fat fingers fail me or maybe I am just used to hearing what my wife says "I don't have...... a clue."

Actually Kleenex (Tissue), don't used toilet paper! it dissolves in water. Cut to the size you want then drap over the item you want to tarp and paint with white clue thinned with water. Push it around a little for some wrinkles etc and wa la, a tarp. Then paint with your choice of paint.

Yep, Shep Paine did this 20+ years back, tissue and Elmers or any other white glue of your choosing.

Rocky

Yep, Shep Paine did this 20+ years back, tissue and Elmers or any other white glue of your choosing.

Rocky

Yup, but I think it's more like 30 years now. Verlinden used this method back in the day also.

Even sneeze-tissue with used paint thinner from an appropriate color should work fine. :clap2:

:speak_cool:

what works better, snot or glue? I got lots 'a both right now....achoo :frantic:

In that past I've tried to thin whit glue with water and it just makes...well.....snot. Whats the trick?

Thanks gang! I will have to give it a try.

:speak_cool:

what works better, snot or glue? I got lots 'a both right now....achoo :frantic:

In that past I've tried to thin whit glue with water and it just makes...well.....snot. Whats the trick?

Thanks gang! I will have to give it a try.

Lots of water, not much glue and it helps to do it in a small bottle so you can shake the snot out of it!

Elmer's and tissue is certainly one way. Another is lead foil; easy to manipulate, and takes paint reasonably well. This was done eons ago by me with the tissue technique for a 1:72 Lightning base.

post-8159-1269917384.jpg

And if you want to strenthen the paper-based tarp: here's a tip I used many years ago:

Dissolve plastic kit sprue small chips in a solvent (this may takes some weeks) and use this liquid plastic to paint the tarp with an old brush. Put the part in a well ventilated area and wait for some days. Finally, you will get a hard polysterene coated tarp that may be glued with classical glue!

hrm..lead foil huh....I just noticed that the yogurt and pudding we eat has a nice lead foil "lid"...may be about right.

Thanks for the advice guys! I will start on the tarp as soon as my messa-shnitzle is done.

Shawn, I doubt that it's lead - probably aluminum bonded to paper or some such. Lead is no longer allowed for use with food products in most places. ;)

Yes, I should think not. My particular stash of foil came from a friend who consumed lots of good wine; all had a lead foil seal. :beer: