Another Airfix 1/24 FW-190

Max N

So, Max I've gotta say that this build is one of the best looking that I've seen in a while. Quite an achievement for someone just getting back into it. And you were seriously pulling our collective leg when you said you weren't too concerned with accuracy. That BMW radial is beautiful, truly this whole build is going beautifully. A great effort so far.

LOL....Well, I honestly intended this to be a quick build, a warm up for the mosquito. But I seem to have got a bit obsessed along the way and here I am, best part of a year later, still working on it!

But I can see the finish line in sight now :-)

That is a work of art Max.I have the old Heller version of this kit,(with a severely warped lower wing),and this makes me want to get back on the horse.

Go for it - I'm sure Airfix will send you a replacement wing part. I was lucky, no warping anywhere, but there was a part missing which Airfix did replace - great service from them :-)

Ok now, see this is why looking at in progress builds is dangerous to what's currently on the bench. That beautiful BMW 801 powerplant had me dry fitting my 190 kit this evening. I have a strange fascination with the Fw 190 anyway, but Max your feeding the monkey on my back. Geez I wanna start that kit.

Max,

You work is simply... well... no, there's no simple about it. You're not building a model, you're making a small version of the actual aircraft. From working on just the front half of the 801, I know how much of a pain it can be, but your work on the entire engine is breath taking.

All around, every single thing I look at, there is no shortage of detail. And not just detail, but accurate, precise, and exact detail of what would have been found on the aircraft itself.

I don't know what more to say other than perhaps the best compliment I can give - it looks like the actual aircraft.

I tip my hat to you good Sir!

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Max,

Again excellent work so far, but I have a question for you. I was noticing the dry transfers you have used to make placards for several parts. Could you explain how you made these dry transfers please. Im sure via the computer somehow, is this as simple as dry transfer paper in the printer? Photoshop? Source media? I have two of these to build, any help will do. Thanks J.D.

Max,

You work is simply... well... no, there's no simple about it. You're not building a model, you're making a small version of the actual aircraft. From working on just the front half of the 801, I know how much of a pain it can be, but your work on the entire engine is breath taking.

All around, every single thing I look at, there is no shortage of detail. And not just detail, but accurate, precise, and exact detail of what would have been found on the aircraft itself.

I don't know what more to say other than perhaps the best compliment I can give - it looks like the actual aircraft.

I tip my hat to you good Sir!

Mark.

Mark, thanks for the generous praise. It really means a lot because your build was such an inspiration to me. I basically started the model over again after seeing the work you were doing. Cheers mate.

Hey Max,

Again excellent work so far, but I have a question for you. I was noticing the dry transfers you have used to make placards for several parts. Could you explain how you made these dry transfers please. Im sure via the computer somehow, is this as simple as dry transfer paper in the printer? Photoshop? Source media? I have two of these to build, any help will do. Thanks J.D.

Yep, dry transfer paper from the local Hobbycraft store, in an inkjet printer. Because I'm on a Mac, I used a program called Graphic Converter. Photoshop would be better/easier I'm sure if you have it. The tricky bit is keeping the resolution high, and getting it to print at the right size. I found that 'plain paper, best quality' or similar printer settings worked best. Remember to flip or mirror the design so the writing appears backwards. Then I rub the transfer onto a bit of aluminium from a Pepsi can. Cut it out, and superglue it in place.

Hi Max

Absolutly brilliant build.....congratulations mate :clap2:

It must be my Computer or the angle that you took the photos but it looks as if the front Cowl is about to drop off!!....its me isn't it?

Any way Fantastic model

Cheers

Fozzy

Hi Max

Absolutly brilliant build.....congratulations mate :clap2:

It must be my Computer or the angle that you took the photos but it looks as if the front Cowl is about to drop off!!....its me isn't it?

Any way Fantastic model

Cheers

Fozzy

You're right - at the moment I can't decide whether to have the cowling on. It hides so much of the front of the engine. So it's just held on with blu-tac for the photos.