New project-P-38E cockpit in Revell kit

JRutman

• 3 weeks later...

Been messin around a little with this again since I got my new Greymatter parts. I sanded down the other wing and rescribed the panel lines. Problem is,I haven't worked on this in so long that I made the same freekin mistake on the second wing that I made long agao on the first!! I will have to rescribe some lines as they are for the J and not the E versions. Oh well! This time I did remember not to glue the wing top and bottom as I want to add the thin metal strip around the trailing edge that the P-38 was unique in having. It is a lot easier to sandwich a piece of thin alum between the top and bottom than it is fpr what I must do for the first wing. Since it was already welded together I had to engrave a small channel to fit the thin alum into. Not pretty must it must be done!

Here is the revell wing with the airelon cut out and rounded at the forward edge with styrene,then rivited and oilcanned. Also removed the trim tab and cut the basic pieces for the thin alum strips. Further back in this thread you can see the rear wing stub with the alum strip added if you are so inclined. Nice to be "home" again working on airplane stuff.

IMG_1369.jpg

Thanks Tom,for the much needed encouragement!!

Anyone know if the E model P-38 had a trim tab on both airelons? Also did it have the fixed trim tabs in addition to the movable ones? I have all kind of conflicting pics and drawings and info. Do we have any P-38 wonks on board?

J

I replied over on HS, but I will here too. There were controlable tabs on both ailerons on the E-H models, with no fixed tabs on the E. The fixed tabs started with the F model. The controlable tabs were finally deleted on the J-25. I hate to tell you this Jerry, but the leading edge of the aileron didn't curve like other aircraft. It is piano hinged to the wing along the entire top edge, so the transition from wing to aileron was very smooth.

John

Edited by p38johnny

I replied over on HS, but I will here too. There were controlable tabs on both ailerons on the E-H models, with no fixed tabs. I hate to tell you this Jerry, but the leading edge of the aileron didn't curve like other aircraft. It is piano hinged to the wing along the entire top edge, so the transition from wing to aileron was very smooth.

John

Aha!! I finally got it through my thick head what you meant on Hyper!! I thought you meant the leading,when viewed from the top,was straight. As my piece IS straight,I was scratching my head. Now I realize that you meant the leading edge is straight when viewed from the side! A right angle. So those tabs I see in the middle of the airelon inside the wing(3 of them maybe?) are the actuator attachments? They would have to be if the surface hinged on the top? So is the opening in the wing for the airelon wider on top than on the bottom? Otherwise,how would the airflow be affected when the control surface is in the up position as there would be a gap? I am trying to grasp the mechanics with my pea brain.

J

Aha!! I finally got it through my thick head what you meant on Hyper!! I thought you meant the leading,when viewed from the top,was straight. As my piece IS straight,I was scratching my head. Now I realize that you meant the leading edge is straight when viewed from the side! A right angle. So those tabs I see in the middle of the airelon inside the wing(3 of them maybe?) are the actuator attachments? They would have to be if the surface hinged on the top? So is the opening in the wing for the airelon wider on top than on the bottom? Otherwise,how would the airflow be affected when the control surface is in the up position as there would be a gap? I am trying to grasp the mechanics with my pea brain.

J

If you are looking at the AeroDetail book page 60, those tabs are actually counterweights. There was only one actuator attach point, right in the middle of the aileron beam. No, I believe the opening in the wing was pretty symetrical. Since the aileron was hinged at the top skin, there was a gap on the bottom side when the aileron was up. When it was down, there was enough clearance for the bottom edge of the aileron to move into the aileron well of the wing. There is no airfoil shape to the leading edge of the aileron as on many other aircraft.

I am editing my previous post regarding the fixed tabs for the early airplanes. The fixed tabs were introduced with the F model. The E model didn't have them. The controlable tabs disappeared on the J-25 model.

John

Edited by p38johnny

If you are looking at the AeroDetail book page 60, those tabs are actually counterweights. There was only one actuator attach point, right in the middle of the aileron beam. No, I believe the opening in the wing was pretty symetrical. Since the aileron was hinged at the top skin, there was a gap on the bottom side when the aileron was up. When it was down, there was enough clearance for the bottom edge of the aileron to move into the aileron well of the wing. There is no airfoil shape to the leading edge of the aileron as on many other aircraft.

I am editing my previous post regarding the fixed tabs for the early airplanes. The fixed tabs were introduced with the F model. The E model didn't have them. The controlable tabs disappeared on the J-25 model.

John

OK,cool. I was just curious about the actuaters as I won't be showing them anyway. Thanks for clearing up the trim tab deal though. Big help. I will have to cut new alum for the left side and cut the trim tab out of the right. Then remove the curve on he leading edge of my airelon. I hate correcting my own corrections but that's what I deserve for taking such a long intermission on this build.

J

Look on page 28 of Detail &r Scale Vol. 58 on the late model P-38s. The hinge is set up to be flush, but you could simulate it with a very small diameter piece of sprue or wire set in a shallow groove.

John

Look on page 28 of Detail &r Scale Vol. 58 on the late model P-38s. The hinge is set up to be flush, but you could simulate it with a very small diameter piece of sprue or wire set in a shallow groove.

John

Thanks John,I have that tome luckily and will give it a go. Should be an easy fix now that you ell me it's set up to be flush,

J