Spit Bits

tbell

You might find this useful; note that the triangle was attached to the right shoulder strap, with the pin underneath the left shoulder strap. Straps were always numbered 1-4, in the order of attachment:- 1-left shoulder, 2- right thigh, 3-left thigh, 4-right shoulder.

This is the first Spitfire harness; later versions had a piece of cable added to the "Y" strap, which went behind the seat-back. This cable lengthened throughout the war, eventually (with a strengthened seat) being able to be fitted through the handhold, but (and this must be stressed) it was very late in the war, and could only be used on the VII, and subsequent Marks.

SpitfireMtype.jpg

Edgar

I wish I had that diagram before, Edgar! Oh well, if the triangle and pin are on the wrong sides I can live with it...

Hi again Tony,

Where do you find solder as fine as yours is? I can find some fine solder but not as thin as the stuff you have.

I picked it up a a show, so I can't give you a source, unfortunately. You might want to try an electronics store (the kind with bins of capacitors & such), or online at McMaster-Carr.

If it's thin solder you're looking for try and find a good fly fishing store and dig around their fly tying section.You'll find some incredible stuff like.010-.015 lead wire which looks and feels identical to solder.Super thin wire in all the colors of the rainbow.Hollow plastic tubing that's very thin.The list goes on and on...cheers

Hey I use the fly tying wire too, we have an outdoors store downtow in Victoria that has a ton of it. I have .010, .015 & .020 rolls and love the stuff.

Cheers

Brad

If it's thin solder you're looking for try and find a good fly fishing store and dig around their fly tying section.You'll find some incredible stuff like.010-.015 lead wire which looks and feels identical to solder.Super thin wire in all the colors of the rainbow.Hollow plastic tubing that's very thin.The list goes on and on...cheers

Thanks all for the replies in regards to the fly wire. I will have to visit Edmonton's one fishing store, I hope this stuff is in stock during the winter months.

One more question Tony, it looks like you attached the fuselage side pieces to the fuselage so that you could run all the wiring through the cockpit. I am guessing you do not need to put the cockpit assembly together as per the instructions. Were there any problems fitting everything together afterwords? I am assuming you can add the instrument panel, the fuselage frames, and the seat and back, all to one side of the fuselage and then attach the opposite side together.

Clear as mud?

Thanks all for the replies in regards to the fly wire. I will have to visit Edmonton's one fishing store, I hope this stuff is in stock during the winter months.

One more question Tony, it looks like you attached the fuselage side pieces to the fuselage so that you could run all the wiring through the cockpit. I am guessing you do not need to put the cockpit assembly together as per the instructions. Were there any problems fitting everything together afterwords? I am assuming you can add the instrument panel, the fuselage frames, and the seat and back, all to one side of the fuselage and then attach the opposite side together.

Clear as mud?

Clearer, even...

I had asked the exact same question of dmatusek in his build post. I did indeed attach the lower cockpit walls to the fuselage halves first.

I've built up the centre section with the IP, seat, and frames as a single unit. It complicates a few things a little bit, like the black oxygen bottle on the starboard side, but nothing too dificult at all. I've also attached the gear lever quadrant to the IP frame with a piece of styrene strip so I can add four hydraulic lines.

• 2 months later...

Slow progress since my last post - life just seems to be getting in the way of modelling these days!

Anyway, I'm nearly finished the wings. I substituted the PCM canon blisters, not that I have any definitive proof, but it's simply because I like the look better. It took some shimming, sanding, bending and fitting to get them in there properly, but in the end they look OK. I used a jeweller's beading tool to reproduce the fastener detail.

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0895_small.jpg

I've also buttoned up the fuselage. The fit was perfect. And just because I had the camera out, I snapped a few more cockpit shots.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002_3_4_small.jpg

IMG_0005_6_7_small.jpg

IMG_0010_08_09_small.jpg

Cheers,

Tony