So I owe you something in 1/32nd scale...

Wiggy

• 1 month later...

Greetings.

Ah, the sweet sensation of progress. I'm makin'-up swear words as I go! :notworking:

If you ever decide to build this Williams Brother's kit, the water masks are a real trip.

Still have many decals to go but here's where I'm at so far...

031-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

035-1.jpg

036-1.jpg

037-1.jpg

Now, I have a question- there's got to be someone out there who can help.

This little "Bulldog" has something? painted on the tail, and just behind the cockpit.

I've been from one end of the web to the other. It's as if there were only 10 pictures ever taken of the aircraft.

Can anyone suggest where I might look to find out just "what the heal" is painted on this 1932 Racer?

hall-dog-1.jpg

bulldoggif1.gif

Thanks for any help.

More to follow, Quarter Scale Wiggy

The one on the tail is a frontal view (inverted gull wings with a radial engine, 1 cylinder on top 3 on the bottom and the text runs from 9 to 3 o'clock like a prop would) of the aircraft with (text) vague I know but its all I can get out of

Wet Wings And Drop Tanks by Birch Mathews pg.85

Even with my negative loup the image is so poor I cant read the text, sorry man.

Your schematic shows the tail art having landing gear, my image doesn't show that OR the art aft of the canopy, at least on the starboard side.

The one on the tail is a frontal view (inverted gull wings with a radial engine, 1 cylinder on top 3 on the bottom and the text runs from 9 to 3 o'clock like a prop would) of the aircraft with (text) vague I know but its all I can get out of

Wet Wings And Drop Tanks by Birch Mathews pg.85

Even with my negative loup the image is so poor I cant read the text, sorry man.

Your schematic shows the tail art having landing gear, my image doesn't show that OR the art aft of the canopy, at least on the starboard side.

SO COOL! Thanks for your post Shawn.

Almost looks like Hall's other aircraft design, the "Cicada" incorporated into the "Bulldog" image.

Any way to share your image (pg.85) here on LSP or perhaps email me (for copyright reasons)?

Anyone else? This little airplane is killin' me. :notworking:

Inquiring minds, Quarter Scale Wiggy

Looks like you managed a really nice finish to the paint Wiggy. Looks good.

Ron

Thanks for the kind words Ron. It's a long journey.

Wiggy, glad it sheds some light for ya! I will try to get you a good scan of it this weekend, message me your e-mail address and I'll send it over.

You've got mail... :speak_cool:

Thanks, Quarter Scale Wiggy

So thanks to my friend Shawn, this is what I came up with for the tail artwork.

This will be on both sides of the tail...

LogoTwo.png

Also had one of those moments where all the secrets of the universe are revealed. :blush:

The "squiggle" behind the cockpit have to be the initials of the designated Pilot: Russell William Thaw.

From the Air Racing History web site: "The new gull winged racer was built under contract for Marion Price Guggenheim of the New York family, well known for their support of all types of aeronautical activities. The contract stipulated that only Russell Thaw or a pilot designated by him, would be permitted to fly the new race plane. Young Thaw... worked as chief pilot for the Guggenheim family, flying a Lockheed Air Express and a Vega. Mrs. Guggenheim would later christen this new race plane the "Bulldog", in honour of the famed Yale University mascot."

So I read somewhere I fella printed-out his design, put Scotch tape over it and placed it in water till the paper disolved away. Only the design colors were left behind on the tape. He cut the tape to size and applied it just like a decal.

I've never made decals but does this sound like it would work?

Interested in your thoughts.

1/32nd scale skies, Quarter Scale Wiggy

Wiggy wrote....

"I read somewhere I fella printed-out his design, put Scotch tape over it and placed it in water till the paper disolved away. Only the design colors were left behind on the tape. He cut the tape to size and applied it just like a decal.

I've never made decals but does this sound like it would work?

Interested in your thoughts.

1/32nd scale skies, Quarter Scale Wiggy"

What up Wiggy,

Sounds like it would work in an attempt to make a scale magnetic sign... ;) ;)

My apologies, I just couldn't resist that one.

Seriously though, It may work, but will be as thick as the tape, and will appear as the above joke, I think.

I am really enjoying this build, and would hate to see you do it that way, and later regret it.

This site, LSP RULES BTW, sorry for yelling, is so full of the nicest bunch a guys that I am sure someone can make you a decal if need be, I know if I could make it for you, I would. You might even try asking someone to help you with the image sizing for you to print it yourself. I made my own decals in the past with a friend helping me size it up on the computer, and then took the file to Kinkos, and printed it out on my own decal paper for about $2.00 for 2 sheets. Put up a post asking for help, and it will Magically appear from the LSP Superhero help squad. LSP IS THE SH.T!!! :blush:

Peace, and lovely Bulldog build,

Alfonso

Hey there Alfonso- no fouls, no errors. :blush:

Glad you're enjoying the build.

You make a good point- that type of "home-brew" decal would be as thick as a rug.

I'll send-up-a-flare and see if anyone can help me make some decals.

So, I'm wondering if anyone out there would be willing to help me make two decals.

I've never made decals and quite frankly have no idea where to begin. :blush:

Many thanks, Quarter Scale Wiggy

Hi Wiggy,

Very good progress with your build!

I suppose you got scans from the book "Racing planes and air races, Vol. III" by Reed Kinert.

AFAIK this book contains the most pictures of the Hall Bulldog Racer and is the prime reference of my build.

I see in the book that the initials R.W.T. are on the left side only while the Springfield Aircraft Company is present

on both sides of the small vertical tail (on the large tail as per the kit, the logo's and initials were deleted).

As the logo's and initials are white (if I interpret the pictures correctly),

I hope that someone here in the forum posessing an Alps printer that does print white can help you.

This will give the best result.

Otherwise try to match the red of your model with the red in your logo drawing and make the logo itself white.

Then printing this logo with red surround on white decal paper is the second best option.

You can test the result on white paper.

After applying this decal on the model, some blending in with red paint will be necessary.

I could help you out by printing on white decal paper. However, there's a big chance my printer will give a different tone of red than yours....

Cheers,

Peter

Peter, thanks for the kind words.

This little "Bulldog" has been a real joy.

Difficult kit to tame, water masks!? :speak_cool: and a very interesting back story.

Plus, I decided to back-date the kit to an earlier form: origional (cut down) small fin and rudder

AND the flush-mounted experimental exhaust system. Can't wait to do the oil and exhaust blow-by.

As for the "Springfield Aircraft Company" logo, I'll do that in Black.

I made the artwork on my paint program and used the Red field just for an example.

Probably do the "R.W.T." initials by hand in White.

So I guess I just need decal paper? Can you suggest a brand and supplier?

I have a HP Deskjet printer.

The scanner software is "pitchin' a fit" so I'll have to get the correct size by trial and error.

Thanks for your post.

Hi Wiggy,

Yes, the Bulldog is fun....especially the masking! :speak_cool:

I decided to copy the masks to an area of masking tape instead of fumbling around with wet pieces of paper.

Mine is in the Clear the Bench group build.

Yes, you just need decal paper. They are available in clear and in white.

As you have an inkjet printer, like most of us, you need decalpaper specifically (!!!) for inkjet printers.

That paper blocks the water from underneath trying to flush away your ink.

There are several brands I know of: Testors, Detail Master and Expert Choice.

I always buy what's available at my local hobby store here in Amsterdam.

Remember to protect your prints from the water. I always use Revell gloss clear enamel laquer.

Apply it by brush to ensure sufficient coverage.

By the way, did you read the read the "make your own decal" tutorial by Russ here on the forum?

It can help you size your decal graphs in Paint.

If you have MS Word: this programme is also convenient (at least for me) to place and size pictures on a piece of paper.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Peter